Dark Star burner for seafood boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrainToGlass

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some input.

My sister's birthday is coming up and she wants to do a seafood boil with the use of one of my burners. I have a Dark Star burner sitting around in the box and I figured I would use that. Northern Brewer claims it "Supports kettles up to 10 gallons in capacity." We're planning on using a 25 gallon cast aluminum pot and I'm assuming a good portion of it is going to be filled. Pounds of mussels, crawfish, crab, shrimp, potatoes, etc. is all going to be weighing in on that poor thing. Do you think the frame will support the burden?

Does it say it supports the size of a 10 gallon pot or the volume it holds? I'd call NorthernBrewer and ask. I'd be very wary myself. The weight of the food, water and cast iron is well over what 10 gallons of liquid could ever weigh.

I'll damn near certain it will stand up to that. Generally you're not going to fill it with the full 20 gallons of water. Additionally the weight of the seafood packed in the pot with be lighter than a full 20 gallons of water.

I've been cooking crabs with my family for years and Ive never once seen a burner give way even under our 30 gallon pots.

Just pay attention to it as you fill it, the burner wont catastrophically fail, it will start to bend or deform before it actually collapses.

If you're still not comfortable I recommend a test. A 20 gallon aluminum pot full to the brim with water is going to be about 190 pounds give or take. Find someone in this weight range and have them stand on the burner to verify it is capable of holding the load. They can even do a little jig, Im confident it will hold up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

that may hold up to just standing on it, but the flames and heat will make it easier to flex... think of someone trying to bend metal, or blacksmithing

I don't disagree but the heat produced at the structural supports of the burner is not even close to that required to bring steel to the bending point. I seriously wouldn't worry too much about this.

Hey guys, need some input.

My sister's birthday is coming up and she wants to do a seafood boil with the use of one of my burners. I have a Dark Star burner sitting around in the box and I figured I would use that. Northern Brewer claims it "Supports kettles up to 10 gallons in capacity." We're planning on using a 25 gallon cast aluminum pot and I'm assuming a good portion of it is going to be filled. Pounds of mussels, crawfish, crab, shrimp, potatoes, etc. is all going to be weighing in on that poor thing. Do you think the frame will support the burden?

That is a lot more weight than the burner is warranted for. Support the 25 gallon kettle with bricks, etc., so the weight is not on the burner.

Back