Dark Specks in Pure Pitch packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazin

Reaction score
I just pitched a white labs pure pitch packet of WLP001 into a starter and noticed a bunch of dark specks/flakes mixed in with the yeast. I have never seen this in a yeast packet before and am concerned there is something wrong with the yeast.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it still good to brew with?

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

It's probably fine. I would tell you to call white labs about it, but it won't get you anywhere because their service sucks. I called them daily for about a week, when I finally spoke with someone, they said they would send me a replacement at no charge.....that was 2 years ago, I gave up on that replacement showing up and ever calling them again. They shops near me only carry white labs and dry yeast so I'm limited to what I can get locally.

There had a been a reply from White Labs posted that dark specks are normal for some packs of yeast. Your situation may be the same. Post was by @brewmiester13

Few dark speks is ok. Wait till your starter is... uh... starting... check for off aromas and activity. If not ok, contact your supplier and they'll straighten it out faster than anything that WL will.

Thanks for the feedback. I had emailed White Labs and got a response this morning:

When our Davis lab is propping up yeast they do not have access to malt, so they use malt extract. The malt extract leaves these dark spots in the base wort. They are harmless and do not have any impact on the yeast at all.

Pitched the starter in the wort last night and it's taking off.

Thanks for the feedback. I had emailed White Labs and got a response this morning:

When our Davis lab is propping up yeast they do not have access to malt, so they use malt extract. The malt extract leaves these dark spots in the base wort. They are harmless and do not have any impact on the yeast at all.

Pitched the starter in the wort last night and it's taking off.

6 month old post, but I wonder if their San Diego plant has the same "issues". I have a batch of WLP028 that was made in San Diego and looks like it has little chunks of bark in it. Pretty much the same as what is seen in the first post of this thread.

I contacted WL also about the specks (like vanilla beans) and they said it was normal.

Funny thing is (no, not funny at all), I've had 2 WLP051's not work at all and 3 WLP001's all go bad in the starter. What p1sses me off is that's over $40 wasted on yeast alone.

I know it's not my sanitation process that's the issue.

Latest posts

Back