Dark IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwerner23

Reaction score
Looking about brewing this up this week. Calling it a dark ipa, because I think it will be somewhere between a red and black ipa.

10 lbs. 2-Row
2 lbs. Maris Otter
0.5 lbs. 80L Crystal
0.5 lbs. Golden Naked Oats
0.5 lbs. Chocolate Rye

1 oz. Nugget hops (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (15 min)
1 oz. Cascade (10 min)
1 oz. Amarillo (5 min)
1 oz. Centennial ( 0 min)
1 oz. Cascade (Dryhop)

05 yeast

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

Gonna brew this up today. I was planning on mashing at ~150 for about 75 min. This will be my first BIAB. I was also considering adding maybe a cup of brown sugar at the end of the boil. What do you guys think? Also, I only have one packet of 05 yeast will that be enough for this batch?

Thank you

personally I wouldn't add the brown sugar at the end. a starter would be good to make, even if you're not going to get cell growth you can at least wake the beasties up; although that's not necessary at this point.

Well its a little cold today at 30 degrees outside so it was a little tough keeping my mash temp. It mashed at about 146 for about 5 min till i got it raised to about 153 over about 15 min by adding a little boiling water a little at a time. I was gonna do about a 75 min mash on this. Its been going for about 25 min and staying at 153 but I suppose it will drop by the end by a few degrees to my desired 150. How do you guys think this will turn out?
Thanks
Sorry about the dumb questions this is my first mash.
Also let me know if I did something wrong for next time.

that will be fine. the beta amylase range is fairly broad. one of the things i had issues with when i first went to BIAB was that when i missed my temps and added boiling water i'd end up running out of room. if this happens to you in the future, just pull a decoction and boil it up then add the decoction back into the cooler for raising temp.

Latest posts

Back