Dark english mild ale grain bill critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboywonder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of brewing up an English mild, but I wanted some thoughts on my grain bill. The gravity is technically a little high for the style, but it should still be a very sessionable, low hopped malt forward beer.

5 lbs 8oz marris otter
1 lb brown malt
12 oz Heritage
4 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Special B
4 oz chocolate malt

Do I have too much going on here?

I just did 5 G of a dark ruby mild with 90% MO, 8% crystal 80 an 2% chocolate malt. Bittering hops were 1 oz fuggles, flavour hops 0.5 oz goldings for 15 mins. Fermented with a vial of English ale yeast WLP002 at 68 and bottled with a few points of gravity to go for an authentic bottle conditioned real ale. Specifics were, OG: 1.047, IBU: 23, SRM: 15, FG: 1.014, ABV, 4%, Mashed at 155 for 60 mins with 1.3 qt/G and Collected 6.5 G for boil. Boiled for 90 mins.

It's pretty authentic and I'm British! So yeah maybe your over thinking it a little. If you try it let me know what you think.

Cheers

Ayup!

Thats a lot of brown malt for such a small beer and will probably dominate the flavour. What is Heritage?

Heritage is crystal marris otter. I think around 30L usually. I did a porter with a high percentage of Brown malt recently and it turned out great. I was thinking the grain bill might be a bit overcomplicated, but I'm not sure. This style is next on my list to brew. I want a nice malty session ale. Maybe I'll give it a shot as is and report back.

Back