Dark beers and PH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camelot Legends

Reaction score
I don’t know my brewing water profile but I do know my pale ales and pilsner’s mash ph always falls into the 5.3-5.5 range but my dark beers always falls below 5.2. I am planning to brew a stout with black barley and would like to add something to the water to keep the ph up. I see there are mixed reviews on the ph stabilizer product and I don’t know what’s in that so I’d prefer to go another route. I read somewhere that calcium carbonate will buffer the ph? I was thinking of trying this. Not sure.

Calcium carbonate does not dissolve well. Better to use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).

Do not use the 5.2 stabilizer product.

Water chemistry tools can help with the quantity - Brun Water, Mash Made Easy, Etc.

Don't add the dark grains until after the mash. They have been converted to sugars when kilned/malted. During vorlauf or the last 15 minutes of the mash add the dark grains and they will still provide sugars, color and flavor.

Back