Danstar Windsor yeast Bottle Conditioning/ Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfan87

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Going to be doing Caribou Slobber as my first all grain brew. The Dry yeast in the kit is Danstar Windsor Ale Dry Yeast. I have read numerous threads stating that this yeast almost never finishes under 1.020 final gravity, and often its higher.

Without re-pitching before bottling, and just adding priming sugar, will this yeast even provide any additional fermentation in the bottle for carbination? Is there a risk of a bottle exploding?

Thanks, just want to see if I should think about another yeast.

Has anyone bottle conditioned with Windsor? How did it go?

:mug:

I don't know about the Windsor yeast itself but if the yeast eat what it can, then you add more sugar the yeast will go through that, back to where it was before you added the priming sugar.

Look up the attenuation percentage expected, It you get that from your fermentation you are good. There should be no risk of bottle bombs if you don't bottle before fermentation is complete with any yeast.

Windsor was the lowest attenuating yeast ive used. If anything it would result in undercarbed beers rather than bombs. As long as you let fermentation finish entirely (graivty readings!) then youll be fine

its a good yeast for brown ales because they are pretty sweet and malty compared ot other styles. Something like US05 would dry it out too much unless you could compensate using higher mash temps and more unfermentable grains

Windsor was the lowest attenuating yeast ive used. If anything it would result in undercarbed beers rather than bombs. As long as you let fermentation finish entirely (graivty readings!) then youll be fine

Ok, and that was my big concern, It's important to me to have a decently carbed beer, so will this cause me a problem? Will this yeast low/moderate attenuation % limit bottle carbonation?

I don't know about the Windsor yeast itself but if the yeast eat what it can, then you add more sugar the yeast will go through that, back to where it was before you added the priming sugar.

Look up the attenuation percentage expected, It you get that from your fermentation you are good. There should be no risk of bottle bombs if you don't bottle before fermentation is complete with any yeast.

So basically, if the yeast ferments 65% it will do the same with the priming sugar (65%)?

Thanks

Ok, and that was my big concern, It's important to me to have a decently carbed beer, so will this cause me a problem? Will this yeast low/moderate attenuation % limit bottle carbonation?

No, just make sure the gravity is the same over 2-3 days. The amount of sugar is really the only thign that effects the amount of carbonation since its so easy for yeast to digest. Its 100% fermentable, or most sugars used for priming are). I use this calculator to dial in my carb levels. It gives the usual carb levels per style or you can pick
www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Shouldn't have an issue with carbing, but if you want better attenuation (drier beer) you can always mash at a lower temp like 148F. Also make sure to ferment towards the warmer end of the optimal temp range (GUESSING like 68F). Or just swap it out for a $3.99 pack of Notty. You won't get much yeast character from Notty though so I say give it a shot!

Alright guys, so I pitched with two packets of danstar Windsor directly into the wort (no rehydration) and its fermenting like crazy less than 24 hrs in. Already have stuff in the blowoff tube.
Should I be worried about over pitching?

Latest posts

Back