Danstar Belle Saison Yeast Fermentation Temp Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Trying out the Danstar Saison yeast for the first time. Should I treat this like other saison yeasts? I usually start mine at 68 for 48 hours then ramp up 2 degrees per day until I get in the low 80's with the Dupont strain. Any experiences with this dried yeast?

I used it extensively before I swtiched to liquid yeasts and you can treat it like any other saison yeast. My usual MO is pitch a bit below 70, insulate the fermentor iwth a blanket or make it wear a winter jacket, let free rise for 24-48 hrs. Then go straight into the 90s, hold until 10 days or more then let come back down before bottling. I havent seen the need to bump it up slowly. never had any off flavors yet

IME this gets the most yeast character. Belle Saison gets a crisp tart lemonly taste not unlike 3711, but has more spice and less lemon

I've only used it twice, and #2 is in the fermenter now. I may have kept it too cool with batch #1 but it yielded a VERY tasty Farmhouse Ale. I think it was at 68 for the first 2 to 3 days and rose to house temp which stays about 75 with the AC. For the current batch it has been at 68 for a bit less than 24 hours. Tonight I will pull the ice block out of the ferment chamber and let the beer rise on its own to that prox 75 degree temp for the rest of its time in the carboy.

Back