Dangers of using in Copper in the Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianNorth

Reaction score
I have an electric brew setup (control panel with 3500w liquor tank, 5500w watt kettle, all controlled through PID's)
I'm adding a recirculation setup for my mash tun; the wort will leave the mash tun, be pumped through a separate heated coil, and returned to the tank. I have copper (for my coil) that I have readily available, but could buy stainless steel (at a much higher cost).

However, I recall I had heard/read that you 'shouldn't' pump your wort through copper.

Of course, there are many designs for copper manifolds in cooler mash tuns.....
So obviously people are using copper with some success...
Anyone have any thoughts???

I have an electric brew setup (control panel with 3500w liquor tank, 5500w watt kettle, all controlled through PID's)
I'm adding a recirculation setup for my mash tun; the wort will leave the mash tun, be pumped through a separate heated coil, and returned to the tank. I have copper (for my coil) that I have readily available, but could buy stainless steel (at a much higher cost).

However, I recall I had heard/read that you 'shouldn't' pump your wort through copper.

Of course, there are many designs for copper manifolds in cooler mash tuns.....
So obviously people are using copper with some success...
Anyone have any thoughts???

I can't think of any issue. People pump wort through copper every time they use a counterflow chiller, they immerse copper chillers in wort as well to no ill effect. In addition, I've seen many hard-plumbed RIMS/HERMS setups that use copper tubing. Not to mention production breweries using copper vessels for hundreds of years. Check out:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/objec.../pictures/2006/11/03/wi_beertour29_352_cl.jpg

even if it is new and uses the plastic lines, some have a copper manifold and pipe coming right out of the water heater.

I know Colin Kaminski from Downtown Joe's absolutely swears that you have to have copper in the kettle, even if it's just a spare chunk of tubing that you toss in to your stainless. His premise is mostly related to yeast health I think (copper does provide necessary elements for yeast health), he didn't exactly make it clear why when he was talking about it, but he swears by it.

Just looked it up, apparently its because he thinks it helps reduce hop oxidation.

Hey,

Thanks guys. I know that some, like Colin Kaminski, suggest you include copper in the kettle. I was just wondering if there was any dif for mashing....

I think I will go ahead and use the copper coil I already have.

I have used copper for 200 gallons and I am still alive. Just make sure to clean and watch for the nasty green stuff, it is dangerous, called something like vig...... I ran a vinegar solution through my herms and soaked it in it. Makes it nice and shiny.

The word you were thinking of is verdigris. Bad juju...

Cheers!

Yep. Or Malachite. You may remember the Jr. High experiment where you clean pennies with vinegar and salt. It will come off almost instantly, but a lot of homebrew forums miss the salt. Nearly saturate white distilled vinegar with salt, and verdigris / malachite will disappear almost as fast as you can wipe it down.

Back