Dampfbier recipes & success stories?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel_88

Reaction score
Is anyone proud of their success with this style? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

Tasted my first dampfbier this weekend, and I have to try to make the stuff! Only a couple of recipes popped up when I searched the term, though--this style seems to be out-of-style. Which is just my style :)

I had to use the Google.
Dampfbier = German Steam Beer
From BYO Magazine Jul/Aug 2006
Dampfbier: Style Profile

Never had it, would be interested in trying it. Maybe after we move next year and I set a up a more appropriate brewhaus.

I found this video on Youtube featuring an all-grain version of Dampfbier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not brewed one but have one planned. I lived in Bayreuth Germany and drank Maisel's Dampbier by the rack. Good stuff.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Dampfbier.html is no longer available. Site says it's down while being revised, but no dates included.

Would be great if anyone has a Google cache copy of the page or a saved copy of the text from there. C'mon, you know people who would save the page.

Also, I'm happy to necro this thread if it's OK with the Admin team. I am Australian and love several obscure German beer, including Berliner weisse, Gose, Kellerbier and Dämpfbier.

I have brewed the BYO recipe, with a few minor tweaks, including the Wyeast Bavarian weizen yeast (one of my huge favourites - yes I spelled it the English/Aussie way).
This batch is the best yet and has great malt presence, with clean fruity flavours and a balance of phenolics. Soooo easy to drink in the hot Australian Summer weather.

I have entered my Dämpfbier in a local Agricultural Show competition for the second year, following my result last year with a Specialty - Other entry that only just missed out on Best of Show due to lack of providing a style guide for the beer.
This year I was flummoxed by the lack of a suitable category to enter the same beer, since moving to the 2015 BJCP guidelines and removal of the OTHER category from Specialty. I would have liked to use Historical, but there is no category in there, so I decided to enter as a Clone style, in the vein of Erste Dämpfbrauerei Zweisel. It's the closest fit I could find, and I will be addressing this with the BJCP, as am also a BJCP beer judge.

Here's one I brewed a month or so ago. (notice it's only a 4 gallon recipe; scale accordingly) Next time I make it, I'll add more bittering hops even tho' that will be out-of-style. Or I won't use a hop spider; I think that's messing up my hop utilization. I didn't like it at first (I started drinking it while it was still green) but it's growing on me:

Title: Dampfbier

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Weissbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 4.97%
IBU (tinseth): 17.47
SRM (morey): 4.69

FERMENTABLES:
6.5 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (83.9%)
1 lb - German - Dark Munich (12.9%)
4 oz - German - Acidulated Malt (3.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 15
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.47

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 2 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tsp - Calcium Chloride, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
0.5 tsp - Gypsum, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash

YEAST:
Wyeast - German Wheat 3333
Starter: No

Water Notes:
Mash with 2 gallons of hard, alkaline Rochester MN water plus 2 gallons RO water. Sparge with straight RO water.

Recipe Last Updated: 2016-12-31 17:52 UTC

just finished the article and it sounds like this could be a good beer to use a firkin or barrel to secondary it in and then serve right from that.

z-bob, when you say it started growing on you... how so? did it mellow over time?

just finished the article and it sounds like this could be a good beer to use a firkin or barrel to secondary it in and then serve right from that.

z-bob, when you say it started growing on you... how so? did it mellow over time?

It tasted yeasty and too estery at first, and not enough hops to balance the maltiness. But after conditioning another week or two, all the yeast has dropped out sparkling clear, and it has cleaned up a lot and the hops are coming through. I still think it would taste better with bitterness in the low 20's instead of about 15, but 15 is true to style.

I took a liter to the homebrew club meeting last week and people liked it -- at least they said they liked it, and it wasn't late enough in the evening when they start liking everything ;)

I want to try the same beer with K-97 yeast instead of W-3333, and a little more hops. I have no idea what you'd call that style, just a generic German pale ale.

Latest posts

Back