Damnit... Help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxNative

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
WOW. I have no idea but i would guess some infection from lack of sanitation at some point in the process. have NEVER had anything like that happen. Strange. Have you pulled a sample?

Totally normal, I get that sometimes when I use American Ale II with my IPAs. I was curious about that when I started, but saw it frequently enough that I kinda shrugged it off hahaha
All of the batches that I noticed it on were fine and no off flavors or stability issues..that I perceived. To be fair, my kegs only last a week or two tops so I guess I can say much for it`s longevity. :p

To me it seems like the inside of the carboy was just left a little dirty or maybe a film or residue from a cleaning product was left? That rough residue will allow yeast to cling to it as it falls out.

I get that and can see it in my Brewcraft 30L bucket, I just give the bucket a good whack and it falls. I figure it is just trub sticking to the side.

Normal krausen residue that happened to cling to the sides.

Are you doing anything to control your fermentation temps? In Texas (as your name implies)?

WOW. I have no idea but i would guess some infection from lack of sanitation at some point in the process. have NEVER had anything like that happen. Strange. Have you pulled a sample?

I disagree. I think it is yeast and protein.

When did you brew OP? How does it smell and how does it taste?

For me, dissolved proteins that form cold break usually form & settle out when I pour the ice cold top off water in the fermenter to get to recipe volume. They're heavy & usually settle out pretty quick.

I disagree. I think it is yeast and protein.

When did you brew OP? How does it smell and how does it taste?

Good thing i said I HAVE NO IDEA and threw out a guess then....

i have had yeast on the sides of my fermentor but they were never THAT white. Always kinda yellow... like yeast. Sounds like a comon issue with others too. Dont know why i havent ever seen that :mug:

In mine, yeast is usually a Devonshire cream color, trub light brown & protein clumps like different sizes of wet popcorn.

Sounds like a comon issue with others too. Dont know why i havent ever seen that :mug:

in all seriousness, it's yeast. well done.

I heard that not all, but a lot of infections will show up as round shaped cultures floating on top of the beer. Never heard of one clinging to the sides. After most of the yeast settle out then you will know for sure.

This one is on her second week of fermenting. I control the temperature by wrapping a damp towel around it and re-wet it every 6 hours or so. The inside of my house is 72 F on average so Im assuming the beer should be 68-70 maybe.

Its a double IPA if that makes any difference. But yeah thats the first time anything like that has shown up since brew day. Im super meticulous when it comes to the process and I dont rack into a secondary so I had no clue how an infection could have happened. Great to hear she's doing healthy.

in all seriousness, it's yeast. well done.

WTF is ur prob? i said my opinion and then agreed with more of the people in the thread ... is that a problem? i have not personally seen something like that in my fermentations.

This one is on her second week of fermenting. I control the temperature by wrapping a damp towel around it and re-wet it every 6 hours or so.[...]

And that cool-ish temperature differential under the towel probably contributed to the yeast grabbing the glass and hanging around...

Cheers!

I am settled, just dont know the point of your post other than to be a dick? If i am completely wrong, i apologize. Just tired of seeing rude comments directed at people just trying to help... its a common problem.

why give "advice" if you preface it by "I have no idea"?

how is that helping?

Back