Damn.....MrMalty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETCS

Reaction score
Actually, it's not Mr. Maltys fault, it's mine. Anyway, I brewed my first Barleywine yesterday, first really High OG beer actually. OG was 1.112. So I entered the numbers into MrMarlty to see how much S-05 I should use. Filled in the Gravity, and the volume (5 Gallon batch). MrMalty recommended using one 11 gram packet. Seemed low to me, but I used the recommended amount.

I re-hydrated the yeast for 30 minutes prior to pitching. Cooled the wort to 62º F. Pitched. 24 hours later nothing. Confused, I decided to run it through MrMalty again. Turns out, I had the volume set to quarts not gallons. Should have used two 11 grams packets, not one.

All of that being said, when I run to the LHBS today, should I buy 2 packets and pitch both, or just one, as I've already used on packet.

Done rambling...

Cheers :mug:

As I've never used dry yeast before, is it better to pitch it dry or re-hydrate it? Not sure?

Back