Damn 5 gallons goes fast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Finished my keezer July 2nd. Had 2 corny's kegged and carbed by July 5th. Today I floated 1 of them and the other is real close. That's just myself and and every now and then a buddy drinking. Wow! I'm gonna need to brew more often :ban:

Yeah, 5 gallons can go real fast. To me that's a good thing, beer is meant to be enjoyed after all.

Great looking keezer also!

I think what sucks the most is that the Stout that is almost empty is now tasting damn good. It needed to age a few weeks longer than I allowed it to. Now that it is a couple months old... and almost gone, it tastes awesome!

Thanks for the compliment on the keezer. It's basic but does the job. I still need to buy a 3rd corny.

Kegerator001reduced.jpg

And yet, I just ran out of ready beer. Kegging beer, and having a kegerator means:

1. You have to accept how much beer you really drink if it's available.

2. If you're not buying commercial, you have to build up your pipeline.

I also cannot believe that brewing at the very least 10g a month, that I have run out! I now have 25g fermenting to "catch up".

I have 20 gallons in fermenter. So far since I started I have had them all full at all times. Seems to keep my pipeline going only issue is you have to re-brew your favs alot.

Think next time I'm gonna do a double batch of a couple so I don't run out of my favs.
However it's hard to brew the same thing as I want to experiment with my brewing.

I don't drink all that much (maybe 3-4 pints a week) but we do have a lot of parties and I tend to burn through those 5-gal cornies in a hurry. I've found that the bigger the beer, the longer it lasts....

When I first started brewing I would rip through kegs, now I don't drink near as much, instead I prefer to enjoy the pint, to try to pick out the components that I can in the brew. It is now more about savoring my beer instead of slamming it, although, I do on occasion knock a few back like the good old days!
Once settled, get brewing and build up that pipeline! with enough kegged you can age it a bit longer to further improve the flavor.

Question does kegging make the beer go faster or not? Seems that it might. I have been bottling and just starting on kegging. I got nearly 15 cases or so of bottles easy.
Duce Duce Bottles seem to also help beer stay around longer.

Now if I got 4 to 5 taps just so easy to get access to will I drink my beer faster? I'm curious. Seems like I would.

I know this football season is approaching, keezer will be ready by then so we'll test how long beer lasts during the season. I might need to get more fermenters.

Question does kegging make the beer go faster or not? Seems that it might. I have been bottling and just starting on kegging. I got nearly 15 cases or so of bottles easy.

Now if I got 4 to 5 taps just so easy to get access to will I drink my beer faster? I'm curious. Seems like I would.

I know this football season is approaching, keezer will be ready by then so we'll test how long beer lasts during the season. I might need to get more fermenters.

In my opinion yes it does. When you can just go pull a "taster" or refill a 1/2 glass or whatever as opposed to committing to a full bottle, the beer goes faster. :tank:

Great so I'll be kegging now and football season so college and pro house hold, which means Saturday and Sunday booked. I'm gonna need to brew every week to keep up. I got four fermenters so I guess I need a couple more.

I just finished my keggerator a couple of weeks ago and have blown through 15 gallons of beer already. The way I see it is that when I get back to full time brewing (after my upcoming deployment) I am going to need every keg filled along with my two primary's, and two secondary’s running full time. The good news is that I am not the only person that drinks the stuff and my guests all drop a buck (or whatever change they have) in the "kitty" now when the come over.

I feel like I am running a bar.

I did notice that when I first got my kegerator the kegs kicked much quicker than they do now. I think the novelty wears off a bit after a few months, but maybe thats just me. I have 2 kegs on tap at a time and they seem to each last about a month or so now. I did just bring a 5 gallon keg to a wedding last weekend. My keg was gone 1 hour after the reception started. The 6 cases of Bud Light and Modelo Especial were left pretty much untouched til my Pale Ale was kicked. That made me feel pretty good about my brew. I actually thought I'd be hauling half a keg home with me that night.

I did just bring a 5 gallon keg to a wedding last weekend. My keg was gone 1 hour after the reception started. The 6 cases of Bud Light and Modelo Especial were left pretty much untouched til my Pale Ale was kicked. That made me feel pretty good about my brew. I actually thought I'd be hauling half a keg home with me that night.

This happened to me recently as well. Turns out other folks like our brew too! :ban:

My inventory ebbs and flows with the seasons. Summer months mean visitors to Montana and the consumption of mass quantities of beer. Right now I am down to my last partial keg (oatmeal stout) of the 7 that I had in the keezer a few weeks ago. Camping, fishing and visitors have interrupted the production pipeline over the course of the summer but that's OK.

My dad came out to visit and he and I had the better part of a keg of APA, other visitors from out of state/country visit and once they taste my beer they are hooked, my local friends already know how good the beer is and come over to drink and socialize. We can easily kill a keg over the course of a summer night.

During the fall and winter months I normally have 7 kegs in the keezer and the consumption falls off dramatically. Not as much incentive to hammer em down when it is -30 out. Montanaandy

mine hold steady enough for me, i run into a problem when others join in. I don't mind sharing, but with the effort put forth on brew day, i now realize why people do 10 gallon batches. After the keezer is finished I'm gonna start working on being able to do mostly 10-12 gallon batches.

man it takes me FOREVER to go through a corny lol.

I have been trying not to drink very much as i am needing to lose weight, but even when i am not concerned with it, i just dont drink that much of it. Maybe like 3 or 4 beers a week (over the weekend) when im not watching my weight.

Man i would love to suck back two a night right now, but after losing 20 lbs, i cant bring myself to do it. lol

Kegerator001reduced.jpg

And yet, I just ran out of ready beer. Kegging beer, and having a kegerator means:

1. You have to accept how much beer you really drink if it's available.

2. If you're not buying commercial, you have to build up your pipeline.

I also cannot believe that brewing at the very least 10g a month, that I have run out! I now have 25g fermenting to "catch up".

I also have 25g fermenting. It isnt enough. After spending almost 40 bucks on a case of Troegs, I said ti SWMBO, NEVER again, I am not buying a case of beer again. She agreed. So basically I am building a perpetual pipeline.

Me and 4 friends floated a keg of BM's cream ale in 2 hours on 4th of july. I learned my lesson then too!

The kegging will be an invigorating thing for my hobby, but also be my eventual downfall. As long as I am full of ale it is ok!

Will kegging make the beer go faster?
-Yes

When football is on? Will you drink more beer when on tap vs 12oz and double deuces?
-Yes

Start kegging!

I also have 25g fermenting. It isnt enough. After spending almost 40 bucks on a case of Troegs, I said ti SWMBO, NEVER again, I am not buying a case of beer again. She agreed. So basically I am building a perpetual pipeline.

Me and 4 friends floated a keg of BM's cream ale in 2 hours on 4th of july. I learned my lesson then too!

The kegging will be an invigorating thing for my hobby, but also be my eventual downfall. As long as I am full of ale it is ok!

Now I'm up to 30g. I'm starting to feel better about my pipeline rebuilding now.

Basically, having it on tap makes it sooo much easier to grab a pint, or grab "one more".

Although I DESPISE the process of bottling, it makes you think more about each beer you drink...and makes it easier to count! And you're less likely to fill your 1 liter mug with your brew.... :tank:

Yes. I plan to still bottle a few cause I like haveing them. But most of my beer will be into the kegs now. I currently got 20 gallons to bottle. I plan on bottling all of them then, I think I'll use the beer I brew this weekend for my frist keg. "Orginal Fat Tire".
Or since it's my first time brewing this should I wait and brew a trusted recipe for my frist keg?

So 10 to 20 gallons to bottle between now and this weekend. (Depends on SG readings)

Yes. I plan to still bottle a few cause I like haveing them. But most of my beer will be into the kegs now. I currently got 20 gallons to bottle. I plan on bottling all of them then, I think I'll use the beer I brew this weekend for my frist keg. "Orginal Fat Tire".
Or since it's my first time brewing this should I wait and brew a trusted recipe for my frist keg?

So 10 to 20 gallons to bottle between now and this weekend. (Depends on SG readings)

I say if you have 20 gallons to bottle, you should keg at least half of it. You will see that it takes only a few minutes to keg where bottling takes hours! I threw all my bottles out because I just cant handle sitting there bottling and capping beers.

Important: When you keg if you are using priming sugar make sure to use half the amount you would with bottles!

I have the opposite problem. I have 4 full kegs ready to go on gas, but no room in the two tap kegerator (in addition to about 15 gallons bottled). I absolutely love to make beer (brew twice a month or so) but try to keep my consumption in check (try to stay fit). I give away more than I drink, and almost always offer a keg up when heading to a friends party.

Back