Czech Kazbek Hops. Need a recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I was searching through the discount bin at the LHBS yesterday and came across some Czech Kazbek hops. Having absolutely no idea what they were I figured I'd take a shot and picked up a couple of ounces. Now I'm having trouble finding a recipe to use them in. Since I only have the two ounces I figured I'd just do a half batch. I can lager if need be but I'd really like some sort of direction to head in. Any ideas?

Out of curiosity, I googled Kazbek because I hadn't heard of them. Came across this thread: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27145.0

One of the posters states:

"I am hesitant to resurrect this very punny thread, but I've been using Kazbek in a lot of my brews lately and I've become quite fond of it. I would compare it to Sterling in that it has that spicy, Saaz-like noble hop character, but with a bit of a lemony undertone. The difference to me so far is that I get some lemon out of Kazbek even at fairly low hopping rates, but I don't get much from Sterling until I start getting to larger amounts late in the boil. I haven't tried a Kazbek in a heavily-hopped beer yet, but I definitely will be soon. This would be really nice in hoppy lagers, like a Pivo-style dry-hopped Pils."

I had bought a pound earlier and have used about 10oz in 3-4 brews. It is surprisingly fruity for me with a hint of spice. I used it in a cream ale and as a part of an APA. They're good to let shine through simple grists or a sMasH recipe as well as paired with others. Mine were less than $10/lb. Yay!

Think of Kazbek as a Saaz/Cascade cross (the parentage isn't quite that, but it's similar and it gives you the general idea). So use them in a lager or golden ale - keep it simple. Half batch of 1.040-1.050 Pilsner or British pale malt, something else for bittering, 1oz late, 1oz dry hop, job done.

Latest posts

Back