Cypress Infusion Spirals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunDadRun

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Cypress Infusion Spirals available through Farmhouse Brewing Supply (and probably elsewhere)?

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/cypress-infusion-spirals-2-pack-light-toast/

The description claims to contribute primary characteristics of yellow cake, vanilla wafer and sponge cake to beers. It took me about half a second for my thoughts to jump from vanilla wafer to banana pudding to hefeweizen aged on cypress.

So, anyone have any experience? Does this actually offer these types of flavors?

For those without experience....thumbs up or thumbs down on the whole idea? My current recipe is mainly german wheat and belgian pilsner with a small amount of c20 and some Munich for color/body, small Tettnang additions, fermented with Wyeast 3638.

I have a chocolate stout that is just hitting 6 weeks on a single cypress spiral. Honestly I can't say I'm crazy about the results so far and I'm not really getting the characteristics I hoped for. The beer almost has this licorice and sweet spice sort of flavor to it. I've brewed this beer many times and it's normally a chocolate bomb so it's gotta be the cypress. All in all its drinkable but nothing remarkable and certainly not cake-like in any way.
Cigar City and Funky Buddha both have strawberry shortcake beers, which I've tried, that I've heard use cypress. I also see CCB has a beer called Devils Food Cake IIRC that's a cypress aged chocolate stout or porter. I'm not sure where I went wrong but obviously others are getting good results. Unfortunately information on how much to use isn't out there and that could very well be crucial. The package says 2 spirals per 5 gal, I used 1, but if I were to try this again I'd probably go with 1/4-1/2 a spiral.

Back