CYBI Rogue Shakespeare Stout Bru'n Water Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I want to make the Can You Brew It Rogue Shakespeare Stout recipe, on my BIAB system, using RO water.

I am adjusting the water using the Bru'n Water black balanced profile. This will be my first time where I need to add baking soda to bring the pH up into the 5.5 to 5.6 range. In the Water Adjustment tab, I see that I require 0.70 grams per gallon of baking soda to achieve a ph of 5.54.

First question: I see that the baking soda addition is giving a red warning about using it along with acid but as far as I can tell, I haven't added any acid. Is this a software bug?

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 15.37.53.png

Second question: I haven't added any gypsum or calcium chloride as suggested by the profile, as I don't want to add acid. Will this be an issue for flavor?

Thanks,

Steve

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 15.44.17.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 15.31.04.png

Well, you probably already brewed this... The C120 should be classed as a Crystal malt on your Grain Bill page. Then if you select "remove roast malts from main mash" you won't need the baking soda and you can add minerals and acid. Stir in the roast barley and chocolate malt after mash conversion.

Back