Cutting recipe in half and Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianinpa

Reaction score
All,

My first 2 batches were 1 gallon. I found the bottling portion to be a PITA. I have magic siphon, but, it was tough to get started and to keep it going. Needed a 2nd person too. Also, almost impossible to not get Trub in the bottles. What I would like to do is get the 5 gallon plastic siphonless fermentor. I have 2 questions:
1. I really don't want to make 5 gallons. Is it o.k. to 1/2 everything in a recipe from water to hops/LME/DME/yeast? All of it..and just make 1/2 batch.
2. If it is o.k. to do this, can I use the 5 gallon bucket for just 2.5 gallons of beer. I know there is lots of space at the top and I think there are mixed reactions if this is o.k. or not. Would like some opinions.

If the 5 gallon isn't a good idea, would a 2.5 Gallon bucket with spigot work? I see a place online that sells those. Or for a 2.5 gallon batch, would I really need a larger bucket like 3 Gallon?

Damian

I would highly recommend against cutting your carboy in half. *grin*

Seriously though, cutting a recipe in half is fine.

Fermenting 2.5 gallons in a 3 gallon bucket would be my first choice. Fermenting 2.5 gallons with 2.5 gallons of headspace isn't ideal, but it will definitely work. I would not attempt to ferment 2.5 gallons in a 2.5 gallon bucket.

I make 2.5 gallon batches and cutting a recipe in half is what I always do, it works fine that way.

I ferment in 3 gallon carboys and have had no issues so far. I also struggled with the mini auto siphon that came with a 1 gallon kit, but for the 3 gallon carboy, i needed a bigger one (24" fermtech auto siphon), and haven't had any issues using that one. I guess bigger is better sometimes? that's what she said :D

I just found a 4 Gallon bucket with Spigot online. Maybe that will work best. There will be some room at the top, but, not as much as a 5 gallon. My goal is to not use 2 buckets or siphon if possible. Just brew the beer in 1 fermenter and bottle from there. I also just read a brew demon might work great. It is listed as 2 gallon, but, one article says it actually can hold up to 3 gallons of beer. Might be perfect. I'll have to research more on that.

Latest posts

Back