Cutting oil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
I am using a step drill bit to drill out a 7/8" hole in my keg. What do people here use for cutting oil? Obviously it needs to be something that doesn't leave a film.

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

I used olive oil/water and it was fine. Won't be as good as proper cutting oil I'm sure, but I didn't see the need.

I used pipe thread cutting oil from the plumbing department of the big box store. It cleans up just fine.

I used pipe thread cutting oil from the plumbing department of the big box store. It cleans up just fine.

This. Plus some dawn detergent and lots of hot water.

I followed it up with a beer glass detergent soak with hot water.

All of the above are good.

Your goal is just to keep it cool. So even water will work. Mineral oil or olive oil will work. I've never done the detergent thing, but I've heard good things.

In reality. This is just my opinion, and I'm sure you will use some sort of cutting lubricant. You really don't need anything. Slow with the right pressure is the best! Using a cutting fluid helps, not in making the hole, just in the actual heat.

I work in a manufacturing facility that uses all kinds of cutting fluids. One of them is lard oil. They say it even smells like bacon when it gets hot. The trick to cutting stainless is a sharp tool and just enough tool pressure to keep the chips flowing.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I used 3-in-1 oil, because that's what I had on hand. Worked fine. Be sure to go slowly, drill a few seconds, let up for a few seconds, drill a few seconds,.... Don't let the metal overheat or it can work-harden.

I have one of these to remove burrs. Beats trying to Dremel the burrs off.
images

Max nailed it with the start/stop method ...depending on your drill, I would say aim for about 10 revolutions of the bit per squeeze of the trigger and wait about an equal amount of time before squeezing again. And all are correct about the function of oil, as a coolant, not a lubricant. The reason "oil" is used that it conducts heat better than water, but in this case water would work just fine.

i've used 3 in 1 oil but really, wd40 works just fine. go really slow though, so slow. I used a drill press to do some of mine and it was so easy.

I used an angle grinder with a flap disk to get off the burrs

Back