Cutting advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
On stripping a odd tea urn I have 2 SS pots one of which has the lid.

A few pictures might help :-

if you expand the second picture you can see a lid connected by a tube to plate across the top of the pot.

I want to cut the plate thus separating the lid and a 1" tube from the pot ending up with a pot and a lid.

The problem is that I don't know how I can possibly cut the plate with out damaging either the lid and tube assembly or the pot. I don't have welding or plasma cutting equipment. I might reach in with a cutting disk on a Dremal but I'd probably go through a bucket load of disks.

If you have any good ideas please pass them on.

ATB. aamcle

Cut from the inside out with a grinder with a 4" cut off wheel.. Make a jig out of a 2X4 and run it around the rim.. set your depth on your jig and use the 2x4 to run it around the top of the pot.

Just a thought.

I.d thought of that but I can't easily be my arm and the cutter in through the hole in the lid. The tube section is a 'like to have' not a requirement so I will probably cut through it and the remove the plate from the pot.

Many thanks. Aamcle

Are you wanting to keep the "tube"?

Also, show us the "hole", ( heh, heh, heh), that you cant work through....

A straight, pneumatic grinder with a 3 or 4 inch cutoff wheel should work for ya'.

I'm liking the tube as something to attach a chimney to so I can get the steam out of the kitchen. In the end I did use a disc cutter, I reached into the opening with it and cut the tube at the bottom. I'll have to clean it up a bit the end is a but ragged.

You can see the urn split into it two parts and the infamous hole:)

bc99.jpg

Back