"Custom" dryer at work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrugalEndeavorsFarm

Reaction score
Got a good amount of picking done today with only a few interruptions. I did a test run drying out some smaller batches the last couple of days and now I have a little more going. Primarily Cascade (4 drawers) and 1 drawer of Zeus.

IMG_0468[1].jpg

IMG_0470[1].jpg

IMG_0469[1].jpg

IMG_0471[1].jpg

Nice, thought I'd share mine too. Mine is made out of scrap wood (left over ac3 treated decking, and a small bundle of lathe strips), a halogen lamp for heat, a side of a desktop PC to block the light and contains heat, screen door screen for shelves and a spare tarp that I used to cover the whole thing, including the roof with 3 layers :)

003.jpg

couple screen door latches on there, to keep it closed.. also have some of those sticky foam strips around the door to keep an air tight(ish) seal..

004.jpg

006.jpg

strips of wood on both sides to make shelves, the shelves themselfs are also made out of those strips of lathe, with screen stapled to them..

007.jpg

Here i show off the heating source, the 150 watt halogen lamp, with glass cover removed so it releases all the heat and doesn't keep it behind the glass, etc.. You can see the side of the PC I used, I use to use it as a wind block for my kettle, now repurposed to retain heat in lower section, so fan can slowly draw it upwards and out the top.

008.jpg

Here is the tiny fan, paid $5 at Wallgreens (50% off end of season sale) just last week.. Suppose to be a "high velocity" fan, but its hardly high velocity, I've had handheld foam blade fans that blow harder. lol.

Edit: I haven't used it for a full batch (all shelves), no more than 1 self at a time right now, since I've been harvesting as cones ripen. 1 shelf however can fully dry in about 8 hours in low humidity.

Also. in front of the fan and that dark spot in front of the light (on the floor) are openings covered in black animal proof screen (just had some laying around).. to let dry air in bottom and humid air out the top..

- Cecil

Just my two cents: FEF, you may be able to move enough air but I'm not sure....Cecil, you definitely need to get more air moving through that thing if you are going to ever fill it up. Velocity doesn't matter, volume (CFM) does. Get a bigger fan.

GVH Dan I appreciate the input. I am trying to monitor it, every 4 hours or so I rotate the drawers and shift the hops around. I have 4 holes on the top of the dresser for ventillation and I can feel a steady stream of air out of all of them. I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks again. Paul

If you are feeling air coming out, that's a good sign that your fan is strong enough. The only exception is if there is a way for the air to bypass the hops.

The next concern is if it is too strong, make sure that when the hops are nearly dry...and significantly lighter...that they aren't getting blown all over the place. If that happens, you could lose the lupulin and all the alpha acids.

Back