Currently in the fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelcollins

Reaction score
Haven't tried this yet, interested if anyone's tried something similar:
10 # 2 row
1 # carapils
.5 # crystal 80
Cascade hops 1 oz. 60 min.
East kent .5 oz. 15 mins
East kent .5 oz. 5 mins

Yeast: Nottingham dry yeast

What do you think? Predictions on whether it will taste ok? I literally just built this beer with what I had on hand.

Note: I did have an efficiency problem. 1.040 OG that I attribute to too high a mash temp. Used DME and a healthy dose of corn sugar to reach 1.052, so I may be looking a thin beer with a low FG. My mash temp target was 150/151. Came out 155 or so. My grain must have been warmer than I had used to calculate strike water. Wasn't a PH or crack issue, had to be the temp.

Thoughts, predictions?

What exactly are you going for? Also 5 gallons? Homebrewing is about what YOU like.. IMO. I would put a lot more hops... Maybe dry hop it. Also I would add a lb of honey malt or something to add more character/body to the beer. Sounds to me it will be a light brew which there's nothing wrong with that at all. But maybe try dry hopping. Or orange zest in the secondary? Idk just my $.02

Was just using what I had on hand. Took a gravity reading yesterday and down to 1.007, for something of an ABV of 6% or so. Had a taste and it definitely had a sharp phenol like flavor with no aftertaste. I am hoping that mellows. I agree, could have used a dry hop.
Yes, 5 gallon batch.

Back