Curious clarity difference tranformation in same 10g batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I'm not overly concerned about this but after kegging this 10g batch I am curious. I brewed what I call a session saison a while back and for some odd reason I used a whirlfloc tablet which I normally don't do. And I also decided to cut some corners from my normal process and when transferring to the fermenters I did each 5g sequentially. Normally I will mix them a bit by going 3 or 4 gallons, switching, going 3 or 4 more gallons, and then switching back to finish both up.

Once done I immediately noticed a big difference in clarity. The first 5g was more cloudy and darker. The second 5g was clearer and a lighter color. I found it amusing, took notes, and left the beer alone for a few weeks.

When I went to keg them the oddest thing happened. It was almost as if they switched. The first 5g was clearer and lighter and the second 5g was cloudy and darker.

Again I'm not worried since both tasted the same but just curious if anyone has ideas on what was going on here?

Edit - first picture is right out of fermenter. The next two are today when I kegged. I think you can read the labels.

IMG_20170708_155327.jpg

IMG_20170805_155735.jpg

IMG_20170805_155921.jpg

fermentation can do a lot!
Looks to me like the yeast cake in the left one isn't as compacted as the yeast cake in the right one. Are you sure that both of them are completely done and that the yeast settled at the bottom?
It's also really hard to tell from this picture because the light is coming from the right side, so the right one looks a lot lighter.
Could be a lot of things, the first one having a bit of sediment from boiling, ...
Do both have the same FG?

fermentation can do a lot!
Looks to me like the yeast cake in the left one isn't as compacted as the yeast cake in the right one. Are you sure that both of them are completely done and that the yeast settled at the bottom?
It's also really hard to tell from this picture because the light is coming from the right side, so the right one looks a lot lighter.
Could be a lot of things, the first one having a bit of sediment from boiling, ...
Do both have the same FG?

Both settled in at 1.003 which might be the lowest I've ever seen in a beer I've brewed. I also noticed that the one on the left was refusing to settle but I made sure to give it some extra time to see what it might do but it never really settled much more. I didn't use gelatin or cold crash this time so that might be part of the difference.

It seems the junk at the bottom of the kettle aids in clearing during fermenting... as seen on brulosophy

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

His conclusions about clarity match what I saw just in the fermenter (and I expect to see in the glass after carbonation). It's funny that more trub leads to more clarity. I didn't detect a taste difference but it sounds like there could be one which would explain why it might be worth the effort to keep trub out of the fermenter. I do wish I had cold crashed these before kegging but I wanted to do a bit of my own experimenting.

I wonder if the one that was originally cloudy had more unflocullated trub that provided different goodies for the yeast than the "clear" wort

Back