Curious about a plum wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJHipNotiq

DJHipNotiq
Reaction score
Several years ago I was lucky enough to meet some people from some Russian block countries working in Alaska. They introduced me to a great vodka and they would do pickles like lime for tequila interesting right? The big thing I'm actually curious about is one guy brought a home made plum wine that pretty potent but tasted really good. It was not funky or overly alcohol tasting does anyone have any idea if theres some local brew recipe or a traditional thing ? He did say it was his grandpa's recipe so I'm doubtful of a cover but I'm interested in maybe figuring out where to begin to get close maybe.

This sounds like it might be similar to (same as??) umeshu , which is a plum/apricot infused liquor.
A homemade version can be made with vodka, unripe plums or apricots, and hard rock sugar, left in a closed vessel for months.

This sounds like it might be similar to (same as??) umeshu , which is a plum/apricot infused liquor.
A homemade version can be made with vodka, unripe plums or apricots, and hard rock sugar, left in a closed vessel for months.

Lots of Chinese "homebrewing" is done the same way. Grain liquor + Fruit/spices + rock sugar sealed up and left to infuse for several months. It comes out as a sort of fruit liqueur. Much easier than actually brewing, and you don't have to worry about sanitization since you're starting at 40% ABV or higher anyway.

That sounds like a really interesting trick to start with since I'm definitely not ready for a full liquor brew at all thanks guys!

That jerkum sounds good I'm definitely into recipes that will be unusual in the States and I see lots of potential to play with this too

Latest posts

Back