culturing yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I used Wyeast 1318 London Ale III on my last small batch and the temp got up to 74/75 at one point. Probably about 2 days into fermentation on a 2g small batch. I know this is higher temp for this yeast. My question is, If a yeast strain ferments at a higher then "normal" range for the yeast, can you still culture the yeast or will it now have off flavors from previous batch?

Yes, you can still re-use/propagate the yeast. Keeping fermentation temperatures low has everything to do with avoiding ester/fusel production and nothing to do with yeast health.

Now, the residual beer from the original batch have off flavors, but you can dilute and decant most of that.

Yes, you can still re-use/propagate the yeast. Keeping fermentation temperatures low has everything to do with avoiding ester/fusel production and nothing to do with yeast health.

Now, the residual beer from the original batch have off flavors, but you can dilute and decant most of that.

I appreciate it! Ya i tried a small 2g batch and just tried using ice packs to cool it rather then get fermentation fridge up and going. Probably shouldn't of done that lol

Back