Culturing from dregs of oomagang three eyed raven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helterscelter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just tried omegang three eyed raven. The bottle says it has yeast in it. Any one know if they bottle with the same yeast that primary fermentation is done with? Figured I would try culturing up a starter from the dregs.

Fantastic head and lacing from this beer anyone know what the grain bill would look like? Their website isn't very helpful as far as grains go

View attachment 1434416565948.jpg

View attachment 1434416597931.jpg

Google search indicates its the same, but not super reliably confirmed. Best I could find was a BA thread from early 2014 where someone said they cultured it from Hennepin and said they got similar yeast profile off the bottle dregs as from the commercial bottle.

I don't see that they would have changed to a bottle specific strain in the last 16 months, but I know Boulevard bottle conditions with something like 1056 for consistency. They're part of the same company now, so anything is possible.

Verdict: I'd say try it. Low percent chance they've changed to a bottling specific strain.

Google search indicates its the same, but not super reliably confirmed. Best I could find was a BA thread from early 2014 where someone said they cultured it from Hennepin and said they got similar yeast profile off the bottle dregs as from the commercial bottle.

I don't see that they would have changed to a bottle specific strain in the last 16 months, but I know Boulevard bottle conditions with something like 1056 for consistency. They're part of the same company now, so anything is possible.

Verdict: I'd say try it. Low percent chance they've changed to a bottling specific strain.

We shall see. This is my first foray into culturing from dregs, so I'll be super excited either way. As long as I don't get an infection

How do you not know how to spell Ommegang if youve got a bottle of it right in front of you?

Kidding, seriously though, Ive heard from several sources their house yeast was derived at some point from Duvel (makes sense since they are a parent company). It seems to be a good versatile Belgian yeast, but from peoples side-by-side fermentation with it, it seems like you're better going with a yeast specifically chosen for your style. For instance, they did a saison with Ommegang and 3711 and everyone liked the 3711 better. More expressive and higher performing. Not saying I dont love me some Hennepin...

How do you not know how to spell Ommegang if youve got a bottle of it right in front of you?

Kidding, seriously though, Ive heard from several sources their house yeast was derived at some point from Duvel (makes sense since they are a parent company). It seems to be a good versatile Belgian yeast, but from peoples side-by-side fermentation with it, it seems like you're better going with a yeast specifically chosen for your style. For instance, they did a saison with Ommegang and 3711 and everyone liked the 3711 better. More expressive and higher performing. Not saying I dont love me some Hennepin...

Hah! Derp derp. All I can say.
(Edited)

It's alive.

Probably a much larger starter than I should have used, but the yeast seem to be happy.

You might be looking at a volcano with that height in your flask. You have any fermcap-s to drop in there?

No time to brew since I am going out of town for about a month, so I decided to decant the starter, and prepare vials for freezing. I got 12 55ml vials -- each packed with 15ml food-grade glycerin and filled the rest of the way with slurry. I'll have to freeze these and make a new starter after I get back

IMG_20150702_081315836_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Back