CTZ, Citra, Mosaic, and Ekuanot Hops - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricerahops220

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

I have a whole bunch of hops in the freezer and was looking to make an IPA this weekend but with a twist. I know a lot of recipes (trillium) call for Columbus at the start of the boil, then at the whirlpool and a massive dry hop but does anyone have any other experience's with the hops I have on hand? I am looking for something different and was considering the following.

0.25 oz CTZ @ 60 min
0.50 oz CTZ @ Whirlpool (180F)
0.50 oz Mosaic @ Whirlpoool (180F)
1.00 oz Citra @ 7 Day Dry Hop
1.00 oz Ekuanot @ 7 Day Dry Hop
1.00 oz Mosaic @ 7 Day Dry Hop

Would the CTZ overpower any flavor from the citra and visa-versa with the mosaic? Does anyone have much experience with Ekuanot?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Please note, this is for a 3 gallon batch.

Howdy everyone,

I have a whole bunch of hops in the freezer and was looking to make an IPA this weekend but with a twist. I know a lot of recipes (trillium) call for Columbus at the start of the boil, then at the whirlpool and a massive dry hop but does anyone have any other experience's with the hops I have on hand? I am looking for something different and was considering the following.

0.25 oz CTZ @ 60 min
0.50 oz CTZ @ Whirlpool (180F)
0.50 oz Mosaic @ Whirlpoool (180F)
1.00 oz Citra @ 7 Day Dry Hop
1.00 oz Ekuanot @ 7 Day Dry Hop
1.00 oz Mosaic @ 7 Day Dry Hop

Would the CTZ overpower any flavor from the citra and visa-versa with the mosaic? Does anyone have much experience with Ekuanot?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Please note, this is for a 3 gallon batch.
The CTZ will play well with the others. Haven’t used ekuanot but have had it in a few beers and it is good. I would at least double the whirlpool addition.

I would not be afraid of using more Columbus ( if not too old and stored properly ). I would throw 1 oz of Columbus in the dry hop as well.

Everything has been vaccuum sealed in 1 or 0.5 ounce bags and they are from about a month ago.

Alright then, I will try to bump the whirlpool additions to 1 ounce each and maybe through some CTZ in the dry hop. I will probably dump the Citra then, just for the sake of having too many flavors in one batch.

Thank you both!

What's your batch size. The CTZ works great with citra and mosaic...can't speak to Ekuanot. My concern is that the only bittering addition is a quarter ounce at 60 mins. That's pretty low IBU's (probably less than 20) for an IPA.

If you're going for a less bitter IPA (like a NEIPA) you still want to be in the 40's for IBU's.

If you're going for a big juicy IPA, double the dry hop, and use 3-6oz in the whirlpool. The bittering charge is fine or can be cut out completely. You'll still get enough bittering from the whirlpool. IBU's are not really and accurate measure of this type of beer.

If you're going for a big juicy IPA, double the dry hop, and use 3-6oz in the whirlpool. The bittering charge is fine or can be cut out completely. You'll still get enough bittering from the whirlpool. IBU's are not really and accurate measure of this type of beer.

That depends on the wp temp. At 170 you're not going to get much bittering at all. I don't do a 60 but I drop a bunch at 10 and FO.

What's your batch size. The CTZ works great with citra and mosaic...can't speak to Ekuanot. My concern is that the only bittering addition is a quarter ounce at 60 mins. That's pretty low IBU's (probably less than 20) for an IPA.

If you're going for a less bitter IPA (like a NEIPA) you still want to be in the 40's for IBU's.
Beersmith is giving me 59.8 IBU's.

This is for a 3 gallon batch

So here is what I have come up with for a final hop schedule

0.25 oz CTZ @ 60 min
0.75 oz CTZ @ Whirlpool (180F)
1.00 oz Mosaic @ Whirlpoool (180F)
1.00 oz CTZ @ 4 Day Dry Hop
1.00 oz Ekuanot @ 4 Day Dry Hop
1.00 oz Mosaic @ 4 Day Dry Hop

Interesting. I do 3 oz at 5 mins, 3 oz at FO, and three WP @170 and get less IBUs than that....and that's relatively high AA hops.
It's the 60 minute addition that does it. It seems high but it's only 3 gallons. I used 1 oz at 60 and 1 at 30 for my 10 gallon batch and it was plenty bitter. And my CTZ hops weren't as fresh. I will throttle back on my next batch or move the 30-minute hops to the whirlpool.

Back