Crystal malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JawnnyO

Reaction score
White labs has a IPA recipe that uses 1 lb 13 oz of crystal 60 and the same amount of crystal 120. What would be the difference if I used 3 lbs 10 oz (same total quantity) of crystal 120?

White labs has a IPA recipe that uses 1 lb 13 oz of crystal 60 and the same amount of crystal 120. What would be the difference if I used 3 lbs 10 oz (same total quantity) of crystal 120?
It would be twice as dark and taste like raisin. Sounds like an extremely malty and not a solid recipe for a 5 gallon. The white lab it self doesn’t sound too good either to be honest.

If you’re looking to use c60. Use it at about 5% of your grainbill and see if you actually enjoy that much crystal malt in an ipa.

Crystal 120 is very raisiny- and I wouldn't use more than 1.5 pounds, ever, but I do in my Arrogant Bastard clone, but I have a feeling that you're not talking about a 5 gallon batch if you have more than 3.5 pounds of crystal malt!

I'd like to see the source of that recipe- it sounds terrible and not something that White Labs should or would promote.

It looks like it’s a red IPA with a lot of sweetness and some roasted malt to cut that sweetness. I think off the top of my head it’s sort of a Red Chair type of highly hopped American amber. With the amber and roasted wheat, it might be ok. I”d still not use nearly 40% crystal malt, but I really hate beers with a sweet finish so that might just be my preference.

In any case, do NOT double the 120l- that will be terrible. You need the 60L for the caramel sweetness notes.

White labs has a IPA recipe that ...

As the recipe asks:
When did caramel malt become such a polarizing malt?

Malt forward, hoppy, 7%-ish red ales don't have a BJCP style; I've seen these beers use a "style" description of Double Red or Imperial Amber Ale; sometimes the beers are described as a malty Red IPA. I've brewed a clone recipe of a brown ale that uses either 20% or 30% Crystal 60 (I suspect my personal limit is around 25%). I also enjoy a sweeter wine on occasion.

If you trust the tasting notes, there may to be something unique about the yeast (WLP007) that makes this beer "shine". Or it may be a data transcription error when they published the web page.

Maybe check with White Labs to confirm that there are no typos in the ingredients list?

Typo. The recipe should read 1# 13oz 60L OR 1# 13oz 120L. Either would yield a decent beer. But 60L AND 120L, well, not so much. Yikes, 4#! This is one of those asleep at the wheel recipes. Good thing you came to HBT. Disaster averted.

Last edited:
Using appreciably more than 10% crystal malt should be done with trepidation...

Agreed, I typically aim for 5% or less unless absolutely called for by style.

Too much Crystal malt leaves a really "sticky" mouthfeel.

Back