Crystal hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slickfish

Reaction score
I just got a pound of crystal hops and was wondering what the best use of them would be? I opened them and they smell fantastic.

Crystal hops impart spicy flavors. I used them in a pumpkin ale that turned out great. I would use them in an amber, or maybe a spiced belgian ale.

if you have a pound to spare you should definitely do a smash with them to get a real idea. and smash beers are always fun. but my experience with them is that they are kind of an all around hop, decent aroma, decent flavor, you can get away with bittering with them, but they never blew my mind at any particular job. If I had a bunch to spare I would use them as a dry hop in a brown ale or dunkel. The floral aspect was probably the one that jumped out most, so dry hop the crap out of something and you'll be good to go.

I've used Crystal in many recipes and have also found it to be an all around hop with good aroma, flavor, and bittering properties. They have a nice floral and spicy quality. They are an American clone of Hallertau Mittelfrüh so they will work in any German style. I've used them in Blonde Ales, Cream Ales, Kolsch, and wheat beers. They are my go to when the style calls for a mellow hop.

Crystal, Santiam, Sterling are some of my favorite hop varieties to use. Great US hybridized version of classic noble hops.

Crystal, a hybridized hallertau variant, has most of the classic Hallertau (mittlefruh) characteristics but to a slightly higher degree, plus a splash of american citrus/lemon character. I have used it from cream ales and blondes to pale ales and IPAs, all the way to amber lagers and light lagers. It's an extremely versatile variety IMO. I have grown particularly fond of it in cream ales, but it works equally as well in the other styles I mentioned.

Have fun with it and toss some in here and there. It's not in-your-face and serves well as a nuance hop.

Back