Crux Play Wave Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epoyorena

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone made an attempt at making their NW Pale Ale? I had it a few weeks back for the first time, and it was great! I am going to start working on a Clone, but was wondering if anyone had a start??

Just found this... and would like to offer a bump haha. I had this beer recently and it was fantastic. Very curious what people have come up with in means of a clone.

I live in Bend but actually haven't tried this yet.

My first recommendation would be to email them and ask. Many pro brewers are happy to help homebrewers.

Beyond that, it looks like the site says it uses Mosaic, Galaxy, and Centennial hops. Stated IBU is 30 and reviews say low bitterness, so probably a lot of late boil and whirlpool hop additions.

Pics show it to be a fairly deep gold color, which to me means they either used 2-row in conjunction with a fairly large percentage of Vienna/Munich, or 2-row and a bit of crystal. Hard to know without tasting it myself.

I'm assuming a clean American yeast. Stated ABV is 5%, so probably around 1.050 OG and 1.010 FG.

Just a relative stab in the dark, but if they're not responsive when you ask, start from something like this maybe?

fFIBLDB.png

Holy crap man! haha thanks! I will email them and respond with their response haha. I live in an area where I cant get that beer readily so I wanted to try my hand at it because it was so good.

Hate to revive a dead thread but I reached out to Crux and got an answer for this brew! Also here is my interpretation of the receipe they sent. Any feedback is welcome!
Screenshot_20220628-094722_One UI Home.jpg
Screenshot_20220628-122300_One UI Home.jpg
Screenshot_20220628-122444_Brewfather.jpg

Full disclosure, I've never tasted this beer. But acidulated malt is usually used to correct the pH and for me this is usually in the 4oz range for a five gallon batch. So 1lb 6oz is way off the charts. And dextrin malt would be less than 5% for me, especially if using another crystal malt.

Is this a very lightly hopped beer? Your estimates are close when calculating the leaf hop to pellet hop conversion with 27 liters preboil if you use 5 to 1 conversion. But still very small amounts...Just a few things to think about :) . Cheers!

Full disclosure, I've never tasted this beer. But acidulated malt is usually used to correct the pH and for me this is usually in the 4oz range for a five gallon batch. So 1lb 6oz is way off the charts. And dextrin malt would be less than 5% for me, especially if using another crystal malt.

Is this a very lightly hopped beer? Your estimates are close when calculating the leaf hop to pellet hop conversion with 27 liters preboil if you use 5 to 1 conversion. But still very small amounts...Just a few things to think about :) . Cheers!
Thanks for the reply! Do you think both the acidulated malt and the dextrin should be in the 5% range?

Think this is closer?
Screenshot_20220628-152756_Brewfather.jpg

I'm not sure what to think on the hop quantity as they state its 35ibu's and the bravo doesnt need the leaf to pellet conversion..... I may make it this way first go round and adjust once I taste it. Unfortunately for me this beer is discontinued so I won't have a side by side comparison.

I think that would make a reasonable beer. Do you use any software for water treatment? That would dictate the amount of acidulated to add to get a mash pH around 5.3. I build mineral profiles from RO water and use Brewer's Friend. There are a lot of other programs.

I would up the hopstand hops to more even numbers: 1oz Centennial, .5oz Galaxy, .5oz Mosaic. Although this is a Pale Ale, 2oz of hops is still not much. And who has time for a 60 minute hopstand? I would whirlpool at 175 for 20 minutes then chill and move on :).

I think that would make a reasonable beer. Do you use any software for water treatment? That would dictate the amount of acidulated to add to get a mash pH around 5.3. I build mineral profiles from RO water and use Brewer's Friend. There are a lot of other programs.

I would up the hopstand hops to more even numbers: 1oz Centennial, .5oz Galaxy, .5oz Mosaic. Although this is a Pale Ale, 2oz of hops is still not much. And who has time for a 60 minute hopstand? I would whirlpool at 175 for 20 minutes then chill and move on :).
I'm not that far into the obsession for the RO and water treatment, I only need to convince my wife! 🤣🤣 I am going to be getting a ph meter so I can dial in the mash though so hopefully I can get that sooner than later. Good catch on the hopstand, I just hadn't put in the right time. No way I would've done 60 min! Thanks for the advice!!

Latest posts

Back