Crushing grains, what do u use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
I have been crushing mine with a hammer, laugh, but it's effective. I have been looking at purchasing a mill, guess 150 is the cheapest. Any other thoughts?
Steve:tank:

Good old fashioned steam roller. The kind that actually runs on steam. I'm on my phone otherwise id post a pic.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399239782.675494.jpg
OBKrusher. Works great and cheaper than most mills $120 canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Another Corona mill user here, $35 and I followed the bucket in a bucket section in the thread Geoffm33 posted.

CrankNStein 2S is $89. Everything else was built from materials on hand. Works great

I'm using a cereal killer from adventures in homebrewing. works great and beats about every other roller mill on price with a base and hopper for $99 free shipping.

$30 Corona mill from Amazon, it works fine.

The one they are selling at the moment has terrible reviews but pay them no mind, it's actually pretty well built for 30 bucks. People say it smells like oil, and all these other crazy things. It smells like coal out of the box, probably because of the manufacturing process.

The only real complaint I have about mine, besides the manual labor involved, is it tends to throw some excess grain on the floor, for 10 lbs you lose about 4-6 ounces maybe.

You can connect a drill to one, my cordless wasn't quite powerful enough to run mine.

I made one from 2" PVC filled with concrete, all threat, and pine. Works great and all the stuff was laying around my companies shop. Cost me $0.

image.jpg

I primarily rely on the crusher @ my LHBS. The quality of the crush could not be better.
Even if I buy grains in bulk from them I can take them back for crushing as needed.
An added bonus is that they're 6 miles away.

I made one from 2" PVC filled with concrete, all threat, and pine. Works great and all the stuff was laying around my companies shop. Cost me $0.

Did you happen to draw up plans and materials list for that build? I would love to try and make one like that!

JSP Maltmill I bought some 12 years ago or so. This one is fully adjustable at both ends of the roller, and both rollers are driven. Does a superb job. Spendy, but it will out live me.

I primarily rely on the crusher @ my LHBS. The quality of the crush could not be better.
Even if I buy grains in bulk from them I can take them back for crushing as needed.
An added bonus is that they're 6 miles away.

I used to do this as my LHBS is 2 min 37 sec away (I timed it :) ) but it's a lot funner and more satisfying to built my stuff and do it myself

Did you happen to draw up plans and materials list for that build? I would love to try and make one like that!

Sorry, but I didn't other than what's in my head. I'm a bid diy and I just come up with an idea and kind of role with it. I built and measured everything as I went. It was fairly easy. The hardest part was to get the shafts perfectly center before pouring the concrete. I cut two blocks so the end of the PVC sat flush on the four sides, and taped it on. My main idea was to cut the PVC and just use the concrete as the rollers, but figured it would be a pain. I will look for the link that stemmed this build and post it ASAP.

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/kuhnca/media/DCP_3357.jpg.html

This is were I got the idea for the rollers. Then a 8x1 plank of pine and some nuts and bolts and all thread for the spindles. Next time I will figure how to get some bearings in it. It's starting to round out the hole in the wood from over use. I have to tighten it up a bit every time I use it.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt...Stainless-Steel-Threaded-Rod-48020/202183521/
Link to all thread if no one knows what it is. We use it to hang furnaces in attics

Just bought a Cereal Killer Mill. Only used it once and love it! Adjustable roller width and can be powered by a drill

I'm using a cereal killer from adventures in homebrewing. works great and beats about every other roller mill on price with a base and hopper for $99 free shipping.

me too...only used for one brew so far but i crushed 23 lbs of grain (1/2 by hand because my cordless drill died) and got 77% efficiency using the factory setting (which is .37 i think).

Corona mill here. Beginning to get the hang of it. Because of everything I heard about quality, I got one thru Walmart and ordered the exact same one thru Amazon. Put one together out of the best parts and returned one to Walmart.

Corona here... lasted 3 years and still chuggin along!

I'm using a cereal killer and I love it. I have run somewhere around 300 lbs of grain through it so far and I am averaging 80% efficiency with a fine crush doing BIAB. If you go for a roller mill like one of these, my only advice is to use a drill to power it. It makes life so much easier.

Latest posts

Back