Crushed vs. Uncrushed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
So I just realized (while watching a re-run of Moonshiners) that I accidentely ordered 'Crushed' grain from Northern Brewer instead of 'un-crushed.'

I usually condition my malt and I have had great success with it as my conversion is right around 80%.

Anybody have experience with NB's crushed grain and their conversion? I am going to be making a stout and if I don't reach my gravity I can always add DME but all I have on hand is Amber, not sure if the LHBS will have anything as they usually have next to nothing.

What do you mean by "conditioning" your malt?

Generally, NB's crush should be suited to mashing in a mash tun - i.e. "traditional" all-grain - and should get you good efficiency that way. If you prefer a finer crush like us BIAB brewers, you'll likely either need to extend your mash time or mill the grains a second time when you get them. Either way, it's best to use the grains sooner rather than later, as grains stale faster after being crushed.

Specfically, nobody can really tell you what to expect because we don't know how fine your grains are normally crushed so we don't have a baseline to compare to. Compare the NB grains to what you normally use. Coarser means stuck sparges are less likely but efficiency might be a little lower without a longer mash; finer means more likelihood of stuck sparges but probably higher efficiency and faster conversion.

By Conditioning I mean that I spritz my grain with water before I crush it.

I have to look at the crush when I get it. I may have to run it through my mill if I see a bunch of whole kernals.

I'm just worried about getting to my expected OG.

I've never had a problem with Northern Brewers standard grain crush. I mash in a bag and get anywhere from 85 - 93% efficiency when double-batch sparging.

I haven't had much luck getting above a 70% efficiency with their crush, but it has always been consistent. I always keep a pound of DME on hand anyway.

Back