Cruddy Ball Lock Keg Innards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJinJacksonville

Reaction score
I recently picked up two ball lock corny kegs from a local guy on CL. The kegs are in great shape for their age, but one of them has evidence of some crud built up on the inside of the kegs. For lack of a better description, it almost looks like char marks (similar to when something burns on stovetop). I can see that someone used something to clean it up, as there are clean swipes through parts of the crud.

I can almost reach it manually, but my arms are too fat (muscular?). The carboy brush doesn't give enough leverage, and obviously I don't want anything too harsh that would etch the steel.

I have soaked the inside with Oxiclean. All of the O-rings need to be replaced as well. Other than that, I got a heck of a deal.

Bottom line...anyone know what would work best to get that final bit of crap off the bottom? Thanks in advance.

Homemade PBW? (3 gal water, 70 grams Oxyclean and 30 grams Ace brand TSP 90.)

Any idea what the gunk is?

You might also be able to find a longer stiff brush that would reach the bottom.

ETA: perhaps a toilet brush on which you clearly write "KEGS ONLY!"

With three kids who would probably love to sneak the "KEGS ONLY" brush in to clean toilets during chore-time, that might not work. Will probably need to hide that one in the gun safe...haha.

I will try to take a picture of it later, but will also try the homemade concoction. The stuff is hard to describe in words...so maybe the picture may do better.

I thought I was hitting it nicely with the carboy cleaner...but no effect that I could tell.

Not a bad idea. I think I found what did the trick. I took a nylon brush that was about six inches long, and that extended my reach deep enough to hit all parts of the inner keg. I think the Oxiclean softened it up enough to break free...either way, now it sparkles. I will try to post pictures up...I was getting worried that something scorched the bottom. All is well though. Thanks for the help/ideas guys.

Latest posts

Back