Crock instead of bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonbrew541

Reaction score
I have i bunch of crocks one thats 6.5 gallons i was wondering if it could work as a wort? Or if it wasn't safe i personally can't see how plastic could be safer then natural ceramic but....? Thanks for your help!

Yeah you can use a crock, I still have one that my father used back in the 1950s but they're pretty clumsy to handle compared to a polyethylene bucket.

If it seals i can't see how it'd be a problem. There's no safety issue with plastic, either, unless non-food-grade is used but that's maybe debatable. I think you should try it and let us know if there's any issues. Kyle

I'm sorry but i thought in beer making the primary can be open due to aggressive yeast activity. I want to make wheat style beers as well will 6.5 gallon crock be big enough?

Just lay a towel or some plastic wrap over the top to keep stuff from falling in. Leave a tiny gap for the Co2 to escape from. It will be fine as long as it's got a sealed surface and can be sanitized. 6.5 is not an uncommon size for a primary, but you still might get an aggressive ferment with excess krausen, so keep an eye on it.

Just lay a towel or some plastic wrap over the top to keep stuff from falling in. Leave a tiny gap for the Co2 to escape from. It will be fine as long as it's got a sealed surface and can be sanitized. 6.5 is not an uncommon size for a primary, but you still might get an aggressive ferment with excess krausen, so keep an eye on it.

perfect thank you very much

ill update this thread once I've tried it and can give my opinion on using a crock thanks everyone

Back