Critiquing My Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to this forum, but it seems like a good place to start for advice.
My friends and I are holding a little brew competition and I was just looking to make the best ale possible. I've got quite a few all grain brews under my belt, but not in this style. Any advice is welcome and appreciated. That being said here is what i plan on brewing

English Strong Ale
Est Original Gravity 1.093
Est Final Gravity 1.021

10lbs Maris Otter
2lbs 60l Crystal
1lb Brown
1lb Amber
1lb Honey

Bramling Cross
2oz 60min
1oz 10min
1oz Dry Hop

Saaz
2oz 60min
1oz 20min
1oz Dry Hop

Burton"s Ale Yeast #WLP0023

I am also going to use 2oz of oak chips that have been soaked in Blanton's Bourbon for 2 to 3 weeks. Probably going in the second fermenter for 1.5 to 3 weeks depending on tastings.

What I am most concerned with is the hop combo. Really not sure if Saaz and Brambling Cross will go good together. I'm thinking about using EKG instead of the Saaz, not sure though.

Thanks in advance.

I'd go with the EKG over the Saaz. I find noble hops don't stand up so well in a strong ale. That subtle spiciness isn't going do much in a beer like that, for my money. I definitely wouldn't bother with the 60 minute Saaz addition - what is that, 6-8 AAU? Probably not detectable. EKG for late additions/dryhop sounds more style appropriate. What's the AA% of the Bramling Cross?

Back