Critique this IPA and give me a mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keffa

Reaction score
So I Heard You Like Hops IPA

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.46 %
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 38.46 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %

0.50 oz Motueka [7.20 %] (15 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.50 oz Rakau [11.40 %] (15 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Pacifica [6.10 %] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Saphir [5.20 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.50 oz Apollo [18.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Rakau [11.40 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Pacifica [6.10 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Saphir [5.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.50 oz Motueka [7.20 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Apollo [18.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
1.00 oz Saphir [5.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Pacifica [6.10 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Apollo [18.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Rakau [11.40 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Motueka [7.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (DCL #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash temp is up in the air at this point. I'm leaning 150, but I'm not sure if that'd be adequate or not. Basically, I'm aiming for it to be sufficiently bitter, hugely aromatic, fairly fruity, and most importantly, I want it to be different in a good way. It's going to have plenty of bitterness as it sits, as the Apollo and Rakau are both ridiculously high AA, and even with me only using them at 15 and 5 it gets 51.9 IBU Tinseth from those late additions. From the descriptors of the hops I've picked, I think it should achieve what I'm after.

Suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
Kef

I am going to say 148 any warmer and I think you will add too much sweetness and take away from what you are looking for.

That looks crazy! I haven't even heard of some of those hops. Why are you not having a 60min hop addition? Will you still boil for 60min?
I'm really interested in this beer. Keep us updated when you brew it. Good luck!

Going to be very hop flavored beer. There are other flavors that come out across the spectrum of adding at different times. It probably won't have an intense bitterness but be more like and orange juice. But that may be what your going for ? Nice interesting malt profile. Would love to see you write back about that. Kind of reminds me of a malty hoppy belgian. I would also mash low like 148. The malt will probably need more than 4 weeks conditioning to develop and show it's legs. Cool idea...

I LOVE hoppy IPAs, and make them every other brew. I go the other way and mash at 152 because I feel they should be crisp and dry (I'd cut down the carafoam for sure, but most likely leave it out since you have crystal in there already) but with a firm malt backbone. I like my IPAs to finish around 1.010.

That looks crazy! I haven't even heard of some of those hops. Why are you not having a 60min hop addition? Will you still boil for 60min?
I'm really interested in this beer. Keep us updated when you brew it. Good luck!

Ean, I'm not doing a 60 minute mainly because of the sheer number of varietals going in. Hell, .5 oz of Apollo at 60 minutes put me over 80 IBU, and I want this one to still have enough malt to stand up to the hops that are going to be in it. Will it still be hop forward in aroma/flavor? You betcha. It's still 50+ IBU, even without the early addition.

I think I'll do right in the middle of the suggestions and mash at 150, that should keep it dry, yet not overly so.

Yoop, do you think that it'll have sufficient body and retention without the Carafoam/Carapils? That's my only worry, as I hate IPA's that are just too thin.

I know that I'm looking forward to brewing it, and as soon as I do, I'll be posting my results and pictures.

Id say 152, did my last IPA @ 148 and it lacked mouth feel/body...

I would leave the recipe as is and give it a go. I would mash 152, for 60min, it will get plenty dry.

Thanks fellas. I'm debating it still. Gonna brew it though. Just need to get my new equipment here first :p

Latest posts

Back