Critique New recipe:- but i need a name.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
I had some spare time so i had a play with Beersmith. It allowed me to have a look at all the grain descriptions etc too.

I also wanted to use the hops i have left .

So i came up with a recipe to be brewed over 2 days in the up and coming school half term

The recipe is as follows

Based on very poor efficiency i know i got during the last brew i have reset the values on beersmith this one. It gives me three alternatives in regard to the strength and bitterness etc.

The recipe is now based on 65 % efficiency and reads as follows.

This is for a 20 liter batch.

Grain
4340 MO
250 crystal (50)
80 gram Chocolate

hops
28g Northdown ( 7.6%%) 60 mins
20 g first gold(6.2%%) 15 mins
20 g crystal ( 4.9% %) 1 min
10 g first gold (6.2%) 1 min-

The late addition of first gold is basically to finish up what i have left before i make nmy next large order

I'm going to use either Safeale 04 for this or most likely Wyeast 1068 ESB. I know it is not really an ESB but the yeast will only go to waste if not and it might give a nice results

Based on 65 % this gives me an og of 1048 and IBU which is nice

however if i should get efficiency of 70 % it raises the OG to 1051

if i get really good efficiency and manage 75% then the OG goes to 1055.

As far as i understand though should i get less beer at a higher Og than i want i can dilute it by use of the Beersmith dilution tool to the amount i want ( although this will change the og.)

Is there a tool on Beersmith that will help me find the efficiency per brew?

I also need a name for this one. I am based in Norway, where this type of beer is not usual ( its mostly pilsner and lager:()

So Gents, critique and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ale Inefficient?

he he i was hoping that the efficiency will be up this time so i don't want to jinx it... I'll see what else comes up

I thought of Northern ( not so ) light as we see the Northern lights from where i am.

Anyway any critique to the recipe.??

It looks like a ESB with the grain bill, the Northdown hops, and the windsor yeast. I say go for it!

i am going to do this one. I just found out that i am 500 g short of pale malt though. I have ordered more but postage from abroad to Norway can take some time. In this case i might need to either add some table sugar into the boil in order to replace the amount of ABV i'll lose from the lack of pale, or i'll have to use something that is around locally... pilsner malt.

Thoughts?

pils will be fine, sugar will lighten the body. Its all up to you. How are you going to mash this: Light body, medium body, full body?

Will be using pils if the pale does not arrive.

looking at 67 degree mash over 90 minutes.

Fly sparging with 20 liters of water at 75-77 degrees in order to give me pre boil volume of around 25.5 liters.

60 minute boil, or there abouts.

Will be taking the OG after sparging. Is there any rule regarding what is the expected increase in strength during the boil. am hoping to hit higher than the 65 5 efficiency .

Thoughts please?

make sure you mix your wort before a sample, well i guess it wouldn't matter since your fly sparging, but mix anyways to ensure the denser, stronger wort mixes throroughly with the weaker. The beer concentrates a bit during the boil so you will see a significant rise in the OG.

For example in a pils+cascade ale my pre-boil OG was 1.033 and post boil was 1.051.

Happy brewing!

I'll try and remember to post some pictures. I get sort of carried away though and forget. Bring on 7 october brew day.:)

I have been wondering if i will get a decent aroma with the first gold and the crystal in for just 60 seconds, or should i put them in earlier. I like beers with bitterness half way In the scale for the style. Does anyone have any thoughts. I would like the hops to hit the more from the glass.

Latest posts

Back