critique my vienna northerner brewer hopburst SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodonblood

Reaction score
Ive never done a SMASH or a hopburst so i wanted to check and see if anyone sees any glaring errors with the recipe and also wanted to see if anyone had a good yeast suggestions. Thanks in advance guys!

V/NB Smash

Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.5 gal
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 26.6
Color (SRM): 5.8
ABV: 4.7%

[Grains]
Vienna (US) 10.000lb Grain 100.0%

[Hops]
Northern Brewer 1.00oz 7.0% AA Pellet @ 15 min, 12.5 IBU
Northern Brewer 1.00oz 7.0% AA Pellet @ 10 min, 9.1 IBU
Northern Brewer 1.00oz 7.0% AA Pellet @ 5 min, 5.0 IBU
Northern Brewer 1.00oz 7.0% AA Pellet @ 0 min, 0.0 IBU
Northern Brewer 3.00oz 7.0% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop

A bittering hop used throughout (but not at 60min) starting at 15 minutes and even dry hopping? Never say never. Let us know how it tastes. I have a feeling you may be disappointed.

I wouldn't worry about whether it's more often used for bittering. I've used high alpha / bittering hop varieties in late additions tons of times, and I know many others have as well.

Vienna/NB SMaSHs are great.

Looks good to me, but I haven't used NB for hopbursting. I will be very interested in seeing how this turns out.

How about Wyeast 1450? Emphasizes the malt without taking anything away from the lovely NB flavour.

Really hope that it works out.

Peak flavor of hops is at 20 minutes, with peak aroma of Hoosier being at 7 minutes...so I would recommend going from 15 minutes to 20 and from 10 minutes down to 7. Just my two cents

Thanks for the yeast suggestions guys! Ill look in to them and do a full write up after the brew day.

SD-SLIM, I had found a chart that agreed with your time line but i figured i would take me five or six minutes to get the wort chilled down to a level that would stop the hop extraction. If i recall, the extractions stop at 120°. If im way off base with this thinking please let me know!

Back