Critique my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsaholic

Reaction score
I am brewing on sunday and just put my starter on the stir plate tonight (wlp001 washed yeast)

I was looking for a APA and decided to give the new falcon flight 7 c's a try

10 lbs 2 row
. 5 Munich
.25 crystal 60
.25 crystal 20
.5 biscuit
.5 wheat

Mash at 154 for 60 min

.5 oz falcon fight 7 c (9.9%) @ 60
.5 oz falcon flight 7 c @ 30
1.0 oz falcon flight 7 c @ 1

Dry hop
2 oz falcon flight 7 c

Thoughts?

Your mash temperature seems a little high for an APA; I'd bring it down closer to 151-152F.

Your malt bill also seems overly complicated. Why'd you settle on all the different types of specialty malts?

I wanted crystal 40 by the hbs only has 20 and 60 so I split the difference and Wheat for head retention

I will def lower the mash temp

Thanks for the feedback

I am brewing on sunday and just put my starter on the stir plate tonight (wlp001 washed yeast)

I was looking for a APA and decided to give the new falcon flight 7 c's a try

10 lbs 2 row
. 5 Munich
.25 crystal 60
.25 crystal 20
.5 biscuit
.5 wheat

Mash at 154 for 60 min

.5 oz falcon fight 7 c (9.9%) @ 60
.5 oz falcon flight 7 c @ 30
1.0 oz falcon flight 7 c @ 1

Dry hop
2 oz falcon flight 7 c

Thoughts?

Deleted

I don't understand using Wheat for head retention. I brewed a pale with Pilsner malt and a little bit of Carapils and my head retention is fine. If you've got a healthy fermentation and good sanitation processes, you shouldn't have to worry about that. Personally, I would eliminate the Munich and the Wheat malt, and then add a pound of 2-row.

Just an opinion here, but I brewed a very similar beer not long ago. I would drop the wheat completely, you wont need it with the crystal in there and it may make your beer a little cloudy.
Also I would up the crystal 20 to a half pound.
I would drop a pound of the 2row and add an extra pound of Munich. That will give you a nice copper color.
This beer depending on your efficiency should come in around 1.065 and finish around 1.012 depending on your yeast. That's a little over 6% abv. This is also assuming you mash between 150 and 152.
as for the hops I would think about addind a nutral bittering hop at 60 and move the falconer's to a later addition for the added flavor and aroma. Also move the 30 addition to a later time also
This is all just my opinion. So take it for what it is.

Back