critique my porter - nogne meets fullers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northern-monkey

Reaction score
here's the story...

planned this as a clone for nogne porter, but then my LHBS only had the wyeast 1968 when i went to pick up the ingredients; was planning to use wlp007.

so based on what i know of the 1968 being a generally lower attenuating beer i've made a few changes, primarily to the mash schedule. rather than the nogne mash schedule and temps from cybi, i've gone lower for the sach rest which is something closer to the firestone mash schedule i got from cybi (although ironically not the one they use for their porter, but the one they use for their other ales to get a better attenuation from the 1968). the idea is to get closer to the nogne final gravity (which i believe is around 1.014).

no problems with it being a few points higher than i expected, and that with this yeast style it's going to end up a rather different beer vs the nogne. am actually a big fan on fullers range and am now liking the idea of this turning out to be a bit of a fullers/nogne hybrid. my biggest worry is it turning out too malty/sweet with this yeast. don't want it to end up in the 1.020's.

the biggest part of guesswork here is the 75% attenuation for 1968 for the mash schedule/temps below. will be making a big enough starter so hopefully that should not be an issue. i know 75% is higher than what wyeast says is average, but a bit of reading around tells me mid to high 70s with this yeast is not uncommon if you give it a bit of help.

any thoughts welcome.

Title: Daddy Ø's Singa-Porter

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 27 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.59%
IBU (tinseth): 46.97
SRM (morey): 31.84

FERMENTABLES:
4.8 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (80%)
0.5 kg - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (8.3%)
0.3 kg - German - Munich Dark (5%)
0.2 kg - American - Chocolate (3.3%)
0.2 kg - German - Carafa II (3.3%)

HOPS:
20 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 27.25
40 g - Northern Brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.8, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 19.72

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 63 C, Time: 45 min, Amount: 27 L
2) Temp: 68 C, Time: 15 min, Amount: 27 L
3) Temp: 76 C, Time: 5 min, Amount: 27 L

YEAST:
Wyeast - London ESB Ale 1968
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 75%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Temp: 17.78 - 22.22 C
Fermentation Temp: 19 C
Pitch Rate: 1.25 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
start at 17c, bump up to 19c after 36-48h, stay at 19c then slowly head up to 21c once 3/4 or so of target attenuation complete.

starter schedule
wednesday night - step 1 (1l of 1.04 wort)
thursday night - chill
friday night - step up (decant and add 1.5l of 1.04 wort)
saturday night - chill
sunday - brew day, decant and pitch

Latest posts

Back