critique my brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskygreg

Reaction score
[/ATTACH]

Brewer's Friend Heading Recipe Stats Hops Summary Print
bouncin' brown ale
Added By: bigskygreg
Method: All Grain
Style: Mild
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.037 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.059 Final Gravity: 1.014 ABV (standard): 6.01% IBU (tinseth): 25.34 SRM (morey): 14.46
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
8 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 66.9%
0.2 lb United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate 33 207 1.7%
0.75 lb United Kingdom - Brown 32 65 6.3%
1 lb American - Victory 34 28 8.4%
1 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 8.4%
1 lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) 46 0.5 8.4%
11.95 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 7.2 Boil 60 min 13.92
0.75 oz Domestic Hallertau Pellet 3.9 Boil 20 min 6.85
0.5 oz Domestic Hallertau Pellet 3.9 First Wort 4.57
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
10 qt Infusion 152 F 60 min
10 qt Sparge 168 F 10 min
Yeast
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Attenuation (avg):
77%
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
57 - 70 °F
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
60 °F
Pitch Rate:
-
This recipe is not shared.
Last Updated: 2013-10-12 00:26 CDTHelp me critique these recipes!

Thank! Greg

Attachments

• bouncin' brown ale - Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend.pdf
    109.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Amber - Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend.pdf
    99 KB · Views: 40
that's a lot of dextrose. i don't think you'd need that much just to dry it out. i didn't see anything about how you're doing your mash. i also doubt you'll pick up .022 points on a 60 minute boil. you must have a crazy evap rate to get that much concentration. is it really cold where you are?

mashing this low (151ish) for 90 minutes should get you the same results as that dextrose. if you want to dry it out more i'd go with just .5lbs of dextrose.

there's nothing really wrong with your grain bill dextrose aside. my preference would be a blend of crystals. i would really like more chocolate and less flaked oats but those are more like preferences than suggestions.

RonPopeil said:
that's a lot of dextrose. i don't think you'd need that much just to dry it out. i didn't see anything about how you're doing your mash. i also doubt you'll pick up .022 points on a 60 minute boil. you must have a crazy evap rate to get that much concentration. is it really cold where you are? mashing this low (151ish) for 90 minutes should get you the same results as that dextrose. if you want to dry it out more i'd go with just .5lbs of dextrose. there's nothing really wrong with your grain bill dextrose aside. my preference would be a blend of crystals. i would really like more chocolate and less flaked oats but those are more like preferences than suggestions.

Thanks for the advice. Those boil numbers are wrong. I didn't realize that, thanks for pointing it out. Og should end up around 1.060. I have a pretty good system down for that.

I made this beer previously, and am trying to tweak it a little. I lowered the chocolate and added the sugar as it needed a little dryness. I like your idea of changing the mash and using less sugar. I also used wlp 007 last time. The last batch was great, but I wanted to try a few changes. I pretty new to AG and wanted to work on how recipe changes will affect outcome.

Thanks and cheers!

Latest posts

Back