Critique my Amber please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'm going for something with a strong malt presence but a huge hop nose. Let me know what you think, any tweeks you'd consider. Thanks!

73% efficiency - 5 gallon batch - 7 gallon boil

8 lb 4 oz pale 2-row (90%)
12 oz carared (20-30 L) (8%)
3 oz Chocolate malt (2%)

1.5 oz Cascade (5.5% AA) 60 min
2 oz Cascade dry hop for 10 days

1056 or Notty for yeast

Looking at about 1.051 OG, 1.012 FG, 37 IBU (BU:GU 0.73), and about 13 SRM.
:mug:

Looks solid to me, although I would probably add some hops at/near the end of the boil. I like dry hops, but late boil hops add anothe rlayer to the hop aroma.

Are you sugesting I split the 2 oz dry hop and do 1 and 1, flame out/dry hop, or simply add a flame out addition? And if so, how much would you suggest?

Are you sugesting I split the 2 oz dry hop and do 1 and 1, flame out/dry hop, or simply add a flame out addition? And if so, how much would you suggest?

You could do either, but I would probably just add more hops (since prices have come down). 1-2 oz should be plenty, but the more you add the hoppier the aroma will be.

Looks solid to me, although I would probably add some hops at/near the end of the boil. I like dry hops, but late boil hops add anothe rlayer to the hop aroma.

Agreed. Adding 1-2 ounces of cascade (or another good aroma hop) at flameout will be beneficial.

Eric

Have to agree. When I've dry hopped without an aroma add, it was very disappointing.

You might consider some Munich in place of part of the Pale for more malt presence. 2 lbs would be good.

I was actually considering putting 1-2 lb of Munich in there, glad to hear it from someone else. Sounds like a flame-out addition is pretty much a concensus. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back