Creating a Yeast log/ring for Brett Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
Hi,

I watched an episode of "Booze Traveler" where they went to an old farm in Norway and found a brewer who had a "yeast ring" that has been used to save yeast for centuries in this town. Doing a quick Google search brought me to an article that describes the history. I was thinking about putting a sterilized wood block with holes and notches cut out in my next batch of Brett beer to create something like this, then hang to to dry the yeast. So the next time I want brett character all I would have to do is throw this block in the fermenter to create a semi-wild fermented beer.

Does anybody do this, any suggestions on the type of wood to use or how to dry the wood for future use?

Hi,

I watched an episode of "Booze Traveler" where they went to an old farm in Norway and found a brewer who had a "yeast ring" that has been used to save yeast for centuries in this town. Doing a quick Google search brought me to an article that describes the history. I was thinking about putting a sterilized wood block with holes and notches cut out in my next batch of Brett beer to create something like this, then hang to to dry the yeast. So the next time I want brett character all I would have to do is throw this block in the fermenter to create a semi-wild fermented beer.

Does anybody do this, any suggestions on the type of wood to use or how to dry the wood for future use?
I just came across a photo of a yeast ring the other day on wikipedia but to my disappointment there was not an article written about it. Fascinating idea, be sure to post photos as you go. Oak is commonly used for barrel making, maybe start with that.

Hi,

An oak spiral might work....you might have to soak it for an extended time if you want it to be neutral prior to inoculating it.

Hi,

The interest in yeast rings stems from Lars Garshol's investigations of Norwegian farmhouse brewing in articles such as this one. Sigmund's Voss kveik is now available from the Yeast Bay. Lars says that birch is traditional.

But even in Norway hardly anyone uses rings, a plastic bottle and fridge works just as well with a lot less whittling!

Or just dry some slurry. I just made a starter with some 2 year old dried Norwegian kveik slurry and it is going pretty well. Kveik apa in the making :)

Should work for brett as well.

Back