Create recipe for leftover hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwdrake

Reaction score
I have 0.50 oz. each of Columbus, Simcoe, and Amarillo hops leftover from previous brews and was hoping someone could help me come up with an extract recipe to use them up.

What's your batch size? 1.5 total oz. hops will barely cover the dryhop alone for a 2.5 g batch of American IPA. You could skip the dryhop and brew a very weak aroma-ed APA with a simple 60/0 schedule.

You could make an APA. Use the columbus for bittering and save the simcoe and amarillo for late boil or dry hop additions to keep that citrusy flavor. Use 5-6 pounds of dry light/pale malt extract and steep up to a pound of crystal 40 for color. i would use US-05 to ferment.

If you want this to be an IPA you might need to buy more hops for dry hopping

You should be able to get enough IBUs from those hops to brew an ordinary bitter

You could first wort hop the columbus and simcoe to maximize bittrring and some flavor and whirlpool amarillo for aroma. Keep the OG lowish with a simple grainbill of M. O. and maybe a small amount of caramel. I thimk you could get a tasty apa out of that. Or blend the 3 together and fwh 1/2 and whirlpool the rest.

Back