Creamy yeast cake after 12 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VorTheLaufOfBeer

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449164000.349481.jpg

Hey guys and girls,
I am brewing an IPA using wlp 001. After 12 days the krausen has not dropped(see picture)

I checked the gravity, the fg was 1.068 and as of two days ago it was 1.012.

The smell also smells like wlb 550 Belgian ale yeast, which was my last brew in this fermenter.

1. What's going on with the krausen?
2. Was this a healthy fermentation?
3. Did my cavalier attitude toward sanitation contaminate my 001 with enough 550 to hijack the process?

Thanks for any input!

looks normal to me.. 001 will usually drop quicker than that though. i'd give it another few days and maybe warm it up a bit.

Thanks atom,
I've have really good feelings about this batch. I even pulled some from under the yeast to try it and there seem to be no red flags

That's a healthy look krausen. I think, like atom says, warming it will likely cause it to break and drop.

thats a lot of headspace in that bucket. I would try to keep the number of times you open the lid to an absolute minimum to keep chances of oxidation or infections to a minimum

I had something similiar with a CarrotIPA (PastanagIPA) I did with Conan yeast. The beer was wonderful.

You are fine :)

Thank you for posting this. I had one that looks just like this after 3 weeks. High gravity double IPA. Never had one look like this, but it is starting to drop now

Mine had just about finished dropping too on Sunday after exactly two weeks. Had a taste of it While and bottling and it seems like it will be okay.
Glad I could help!

Back