Creamy Krausen Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
Hey, the thing is something like this.
Today I bottled my blonde ale, when I openned the bucket I saw the krausen ring on top.
But this ring was different from my previous batches rings.
This one was creamy ring, like wet yeasty ring, looked pretty like the yeast cake.

It wasnt bad but my previous batches had dark brown, pretty dry, crap look rings....

Whats the difference? is one of them better or worse?
btw the yeast cake and the trub this time was lighter (it seems like almost no trub layer was in there) than the previous ones

Was it a lighter colored beer or did you use less hops. I'd say neither is better or worse. My lager fermentation are cleaner with Less debris and I get a bready ring there. It also may simply be that there was not a large expansion of the fermenting wort and this ring is still moist.

my last batch, an SNPA clone, had a very creamy krausen through the whole fermentation cycle. I've never seen such a creamy clean cap. With that batch I used whirlfloc for the first time and the wort pouring from my kettle was crystal clear. Of course I left 3/4 gallon of debris in the kettle, but I attributed the creamy krausen to less debris in the wort. Also the trub layer was 90% yeast and very little hop and grain debris.

fyi

Back