Cream soda recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtrhdltd

Reaction score
Here is my cream soda recipe. I have been making this for a few years and usually have it on tap. It's very simple but everyone seems to love it.

Makes 5 gallons

3 cups light brown sugar
3 cups stevia with maltodextrin
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup high quality vanilla extract

Add all ingredients except vanilla to pot with about a quart of water. Boil for 15 minutes, more if you want more caramel flavor. Let cool. Add to keg with vanilla. Top off with water and carbonate.
Wait at least a week before enjoying!

Things I've learned
Sugar is very important, use your favorite, I like less sugar so I use stevia and the maltodextrin gives mouthfeel and a little head.
Vanilla is the star. This is our favorite.
20200817_163454.jpg

Don't get cheap on vanilla. Extract loses flavor with heating.
If you use whole bean scrape it and add to boil. (Soda has specs in it)
If you prefer the taste of imitation vanilla it takes more of it.

Let me know your thoughts!

I have a question about your sugar. What is the mix ratio for your stevia and maltodextrin? What quantity would I replace the stevia with white sugar?

I honestly dont know how much stevia vs maltodextrin. I buy stevia in the raw, or store brand equivalent. It comes in a bag pre mixed. I have replaced half my sugar, by volume, with stevia. It has a different flavor so you may have to experiment. I also use considerably less sweetener total than most, about 8g sugar per serving. I can't drink store bought soda anymore it is way too sweet and syrupy for me.

Maybe dumb question...

Why cream of tartar?

Maybe dumb question...

Why cream of tartar?

I use cream of tartar for a couple reasons, one is to add acidity, the other a little mouthfeel. I have forgotten it a couple times and it is not the same, but minor difference. Feel free to omit it.

Back