Cream soda flavors in my Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HexKrak

Reaction score
So I searched and all I found was threads on making cream soda, so if the answer is out there already, please don't cruisify me!

The title pretty much says it. My first beer was a partial mash with the following recipe.

2 – 3lb bags of Plain light malt extract
1 – 1lb bag of grains (1/2 lb carapils, dextrine malt, and 1/2 lb Crystal 60L malt) (steep 155*F @ 30 min)
1 – 1oz bag of warrior hops (1/2 at first sign of boil, 1/2 in last 5 min)
1 – safale SO-5 Dry active yeast

I used iodophor for sanitation on everything, a stainless pot, RO water, and a brew bucket as my fermentation bucket. The temperatures may have made it into the high 70's for a day or so.

When the beer was still green I had a couple (of course, first brew, and couldn't wait a full week) it tasted really good, hoppy, pale and delicious. After 2 weeks the beer started developing a distinct cream soda flavor. Also there's no other "off" flavors that I can detect. Or maybe I'm just a nub and the flavors are supposed to be there?

1 hour very easy boil. I kept playing with the temp to keep it right at that point between flat and boiling. I don't remember anything looking like cream corn at any point.

I wouldnt actually be complaining if my beer was like that. I love cream soda. Lol

The only thing I can think of barring anything else is that it's still a pretty new beer. I'd let it age a while longer and see if that flavor doesnt fade as the beer ages. Give it to 1 month in the aging process and try it again. As time goes on if the flavor doesnt fade there's a possibility it was contamination.

I popped one open a night or two ago (over 3 weeks in bottle) and the flavor hasn't subsided at all.

It's not in any way undrinkable (in fact there's only about 8 of the 53 bottles left), and I do like cream soda, but it's not exactly a perfect flavor match for pale ale :)

Not looking like cream corn, but tasting like it. You want more of a rolling boil than it being flat like a simmer. I would let it age as well. Give it a month or so and try it again. What temp did you ferment at?

Not looking like cream corn, but tasting like it. You want more of a rolling boil than it being flat like a simmer. I would let it age as well. Give it a month or so and try it again. What temp did you ferment at?

We had a hot October here in AZ, and the temps in my ferm closet sat in the high 70's for the first week or so.

Might have caught an off flavor from the yeast. If you enjoy it, by all means drink up. Next time you make it, keep it upper 60's at most and see if it disappears.

I'm getting the AC unit for my ferm closet on Friday. I'll have to make another and see what happens :)

Back