Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever ferment this recipe with Conan? I'm planning on brewing this recipe (and have done so before with US05) but thought it might be a good chance to grow and harvest some Conan for the summer IPA season. Thinking ferment on the cool side to keep it cleaner.

This is the 5th time I brew this beer, and this has been by far my best one yet.
Difference is I used RO water, used a little bit of calcium chloride, and Brun' water to adjust the acidity and it's crisper, lighter in color, and more balanced than ever.

OG: 1.049 (6% more efficiency probably due to the optimal mash PH)
FG: 1.008
Alcohol: 5.2%
Safale US-05 fermented at 65-67 for 2 weeks.

Lagered for a month, and I gotta say I enjoyed it most when it was younger due to the slight hop presence, now (1 month & 3 weeks) the hops have smoothed out and to me it tastes a bit too fruity. However, reception by other people has been great and it's compared to Coors a lot.

Overall it's still a great recipe for those who don't drink anything too hoppy.

20160405_161826.jpg

20160405_161816.jpg

This is the 5th time I brew this beer, and this has been by far my best one yet.

Difference is I used RO water, used a little bit of calcium chloride, and Brun' water to adjust the acidity and it's crisper, lighter in color, and more balanced than ever.

OG: 1.049 (6% more efficiency probably due to the optimal mash PH)

FG: 1.008

Alcohol: 5.2%

Safale US-05

Lagered for a month, and I gotta say I enjoyed it most when it was younger due to the slight hop presence, now (1 month & 3 weeks) the hops have smoothed out and to me it tastes a bit too fruity. However, reception by other people have been great and it's compared to Coors a lot.

Overall it's still a great recipe for those who don't drink anything too hoppy.

I'm going to try this with a kolsch yeast next 05 gives a slight fruity character when you ferment at low temps

I'm going to try this with a kolsch yeast next 05 gives a slight fruity character when you ferment at low temps

I was thinking of trying with the WLP029 Kolsch yeast too at 58 degrees and ramping up to the mid 60s.
With the US-05 I fermented from 65-67 for 2 weeks, then kegged and lagered.

There's a 3 batches fermented with WLP002 (ESB yeast) that I have been re-pitching, and a 4th one being brewed this Saturday, but after that I wana try out some Kolsch too!

I am sure there are a bunch of 5.5 batch sizes (fermenter) that have been sprung from this recipe.

What does everyone recommend?
I was thinking:

5.5# US Pale 2 Row
2# Flaked Corn
0.5# Minute Rice

Which is only slightly adjusted from when I scaled the recipe from the original.

Just brewed this with a few modifications:

6 lbs Great Western Full Pint Malt
2 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lbs Flaked Rice

105 minute mash (had to take the dog out for a walk!)
Mashed @ 153F (1.5qt/lb) - dropped to 151F after 105 minutes.
Sparged to hit 7 gallons (sparge water @ 165F)

1.25 oz Liberty Hops (4.5% AA) @ 90 minutes (~23 IBU)
Boiled down to ~5.5 gallons

Yielded ~5.25 gallons in the carboy, pitched 1 packet of Safale US-05 @ 70F

Fermentation chamber set to 67F, planning on letting this go for ~2 weeks before bottling.

:mug:

Brewed this for the second time last night. Got 85% efficiency again. I am going to have to call Ritebrew and see if Neil will tell me what his mill gap is set to. When I buy grains from my local store and use their mill, I usually get around 75% efficiency.

Maybe it is from the extra half gallon of sparge water I use to account for the 90 minute boil. :confused:

Thinking about brewing this as a gift for a Michelob drinker. Does this throw a lot of yeast when bottle conditioning? I'm not sure how they'll react to large gobs floating around if they aren't used to it. I haven't bottled in 15 years, but I'm not giving them a whole keg :)

Thinking about brewing this as a gift for a Michelob drinker. Does this throw a lot of yeast when bottle conditioning? I'm not sure how they'll react to large gobs floating around if they aren't used to it. I haven't bottled in 15 years, but I'm not giving them a whole keg :)

No more than any other clean ale. Let it sit for 2 full weeks in the primary/secondary to clean up good and you'll be fine. :mug:

No more than any other clean ale. Let it sit for 2 full weeks in the primary/secondary to clean up good and you'll be fine. :mug:

Thanks. I guess if they are that picky they can give it away as party favors. I happen to like chewing on yeast rafts ;)

You might want to consider using a clean yeast that flocculates better than US05. You could also hit your primary or secondary with gelatin after cold crashing which results in bottles of pretty bright beer that only leave a small "dusting" of yeast on the bottom after conditioning.

Personally I just tell most people to leave the last 1/2" in the bottom of the bottle.

Looks like the recipe in the OP is solid. Without going through all 326 pages in this thread, are folks still making that recipe or has an improved version emerged since this was originally posted in 2008?

Thanks for any help!

Made my first batch and served it to my sisters Bud Light drinking friends last Saturday. They loved it!

You might want to consider using a clean yeast that flocculates better than US05. You could also hit your primary or secondary with gelatin after cold crashing which results in bottles of pretty bright beer that only leave a small "dusting" of yeast on the bottom after conditioning.

Any suggestions for one that would work well? I'm not sure I have time for gelatin.

Made this and has been in bottle for 2.5 weeks. Carb is perfect but the flavor (for my taste) is a bit too strong on what I think is the corn. Will the corn flavor mellow over time?

I use between 1.25 lbs and 1.50lbs of corn in my brew. 2 lbs for me is to much. Wlp001 is a very clean running yeast for this brew. 2 weeks in the primary and one week in the secondary in my fridge and it's clear as its going to get.

I use between 1.25 lbs and 1.50lbs of corn in my brew. 2 lbs for me is to much. Wlp001 is a very clean running yeast for this brew. 2 weeks in the primary and one week in the secondary in my fridge and it's clear as its going to get.

I'll have to try less if I ever do this one again. Some people say the corn would lend very little to the flavor of the beer as an adjunct but I feel like I'm most definitely picking up on the corn. Thanks.

Brewed this up a few weeks ago and finally got the kegs chilled and gassed. Still needs to settle a bit to clear up but very enjoyable brew.

I plan on having this around all the time for the summer yard work!

OG 1.054
FG 1.010

Safale US 05 fermented 2 weeks at 64 dF
Kegged and carbed at 8 PSI (I like my beers a bit lower vol)

I did fight a bit of stuck sparging during the brew session which was annoying. Next time I'll definitely use some rice hulls.

Thanks for the recipe!!

ChrisN812

View attachment 1460933828196.jpg

Plan on brewing this up this coming weekend with Galena and Kolsch.

Just a few questions that I haven't seen on the other 326 pages

I plan on bottling this, and with gelatin in secondary, the process seems really straightforward, however, my question is this:

If I primary for 2-3 weeks, can I rack to secondary for gelatin fining for 2 days and bottle straight from there? I see a lot of people doing this with the kegging process, but not mentioned in the bottling process. That being said, there is no real need for cold crashing the primary, since I am adding gelatin to secondary, correct? Just confused on this process. (first time using gelatin for fining)

So in early March I was posting on here asking about using more hops for a shorter boil and using flaked rice instead of minute rice. While I don't have any point of comparison with the original brew as this is my first attempt, I _can_ say that the short boil didn't seem to adversely affect anything, I'm not tasting the corn that other people are grumbling about, and think that this is a great beer. I usually roll my eyes at people racking onto fruit, but I see why you guys have been playing with that in this beer. I will def brew this one again. Thanks msa8967 for responding/setting my mind at ease.

Brewed up Sunday with some slight variations for a darker colour and a bit more flavour. Fermenting away on WY2565. Very excited for this beer. For my 5.5 gal batch, I did the following:

6 lbs Pale 2-row (Canadian)
1 lb Vienna
1.5 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lb Flaked Rice
0.5lb Rice Hulls

0.33oz Galena @ 60 min
0.33 oz Citra @ 5 min
0.5 Whirlfloc tab @ 5 min
WY2565

I did a 10 gallon batch of this a while back. Good recipe, and I know it is personal taste, but has anyone found there is a little too much corn and/or rice in the original recipe? Are there any suggestions on reduced amounts?

Brewed up Sunday with some slight variations for a darker colour and a bit more flavour. Fermenting away on WY2565. Very excited for this beer. For my 5.5 gal batch, I did the following:

1 lb Vienna
1.5 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lb Flaked Rice
0.5lb Rice Hulls

0.33oz Galena @ 60 min
0.33 oz Citra @ 5 min
WY2565

I have been looking at this recipe once a day since you posted it. It sounds like a really good variation on this brew. I was planning on doing a berleiner next but think I will put that on the back burner and give this a shot. Looks solid.

Bonecity, I noticed you doubled the rice and reduced the corn by a bit. If you have brewed the original recipe, how does this compare in terms of dryness and body?

Bonecity, I noticed you doubled the rice and reduced the corn by a bit. If you have brewed the original recipe, how does this compare in terms of dryness and body?

That was based on Biermunchers post a page or two in saying he did this. I also noticed a LOT of people complaining about the corn-forward flavour later on in the thread. I decided to reduce the corn and makeup the gravity with rice. It seemed to be the most logical fix based on what BM said and the rest of the thread contained.

Just ordered the supplies to brew this. Hope to brew either this weekend or the next one.

1 lb Vienna
1.5 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lb Flaked Rice
0.5lb Rice Hulls

0.33oz Galena @ 60 min
0.33 oz Citra @ 5 min
WY2565

Bottling tonight. Will update with first taste sample pre bottles.

Finally brewing this today for my Memorial Day brew session. I had my first stuck sparge but with a little patience I had it flowing smoothly. I just added the hops and I'll be fermenting it with Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast.

Finally brewing this today for my Memorial Day brew session. I had my first stuck sparge but with a little patience I had it flowing smoothly. I just added the hops and I'll be fermenting it with Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast.

Awesome! I fermented mine on 2565 at the low end of the temp spectrum. Going into bottle, the sample was absolutely fantastic! Super clean, nice and dry and refreshing....even warm and uncarbed. Depending on how the finished product comes out, this may be in rotation every summer.

Just brewed this with a few modifications:

6 lbs Great Western Full Pint Malt
2 lbs Flaked Corn
1 lbs Flaked Rice

105 minute mash (had to take the dog out for a walk!)
Mashed @ 153F (1.5qt/lb) - dropped to 151F after 105 minutes.
Sparged to hit 7 gallons (sparge water @ 165F)

1.25 oz Liberty Hops (4.5% AA) @ 90 minutes (~23 IBU)
Boiled down to ~5.5 gallons

Yielded ~5.25 gallons in the carboy, pitched 1 packet of Safale US-05 @ 70F

Fermentation chamber set to 67F, planning on letting this go for ~2 weeks before bottling.

Been conditioning these bottles for 3-4 weeks and they are perfect now. One of the best beers I have brewed. Great malt flavors with just a hint of bitterness that cuts through. I am going to brew this one again but maybe use a different yeast, kind of curious how a saison yeast would mesh with it.

image_zpslm53y6vc.jpeg

image_zpsfwzdfefp.jpeg

First ag yesterday went OK. Missed mash temp by 3f hit 149. And my og came out at 1.052. hope it will still be drinkable. Color is wonderful going into fermenter. Thanks biermuncher. When I seen the color I said now this is why I went ag!!

Back