Cream ale stuck 1020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animus75

Reaction score
Hi , i am woking on a cream ale i used a kveiking A44 it started with a lot activity at 75F then it stoped activity a measured and the FG was 1020 i raised the temperatura to around 87F to 90F nothing changed , for two days , then i put in a tub with hot water around 100F then i got a lot activity kept it in my garage in Florida where now the temperature is around 90F most of the day just measured it still 1020.
i dont want to re pitch my FG should be 1012 .
my question is can i keg it at 1020? if i do it will i loose my beer or i will only get A differ beer!

I've had a couple of extract beers stop at 1.020 in the past- I think that some extracts are less fermentable than desired. Is this an extract beer by chance?

Your 1.020 gravity measured with a hydrometer or refractometer?

If it's been at that gravity for 3 days without budging at those temps, I'd say it's done.
There's no need, or usefulness, to repitch yeast, unless you killed it before it was done. There should be plenty of yeast in there.

Since you're kegging, and if at some point fermentation starts to resume, it's just going to increase carbonation a little. When bottling you don't have that kind of leeway. ;)

Any clues why it ended up at 1.020?
Choice of ingredients and high mashing temps, which can add or create unfermentables, are the typical causes of higher FG.

Your 1.020 gravity measured with a hydrometer or refractometer?

If it's been at that gravity for 3 days without budging at those temps, I'd say it's done.
There's no need, or usefulness, to repitch yeast, unless you killed it before it was done. There should be plenty of yeast in there.

Since you're kegging, and if at some point fermentation starts to resume, it's just going to increase carbonation a little. When bottling you don't have that kind of leeway. ;)

Any clues why it ended up at 1.020?
Choice of ingredients and high mashing temps, which can add or create unfermentables, are the typical causes of higher FG.
I made the mistake of no checking the OG so i don know how I started, i am using a hydrometer, my concern is if i could keg it the way it is . But i am pretty dure is done
thank you guys

I made the mistake of no checking the OG so i don know how I started, i am using a hydrometer, my concern is if i could keg it the way it is . But i am pretty dure is done
OG is overrated. ;) So is FG, especially when you're kegging.

Your beer has been stable for several days, even after heating to 90-100F, so your assessment is appropriate.
And again, you're kegging.

Back