Cream ale pewey taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabo38

Reaction score
So I brewed a cream ale 4 weeks ago. It has been in the keg for a week and is carbed up nicely. It has a taste that I was getting from my first few extract batches that I now have figured out is from chrlomines in my city water.(I use RO but made 2 batches that day and was to lazy to run for more RO water). Is there a way to mask this flavor by throwing some oranges or hops or something into my keg?

So I brewed a cream ale 4 weeks ago. It has been in the keg for a week and is carbed up nicely. It has a taste that I was getting from my first few extract batches that I now have figured out is from chrlomines in my city water.(I use RO but made 2 batches that day and was to lazy to run for more RO water). Is there a way to mask this flavor by throwing some oranges or hops or something into my keg?

No, probably not. I never found or heard of a way to camoflauge chlorophenols.

I believe what Yooper says is true as well. I've never heard of a fix AFTER fermentation. Before you use your water, you can add 1/4 tablet of Campden Tab per 5 gallons of water to chemically change the chloramine. It's the same stuff that is commonly used in winemaking, and at a lower dose as well. I used it sometimes when I brewed stouts before the city got an RO machine at the grocery store.

Well I threw peels from 2 oranges and an ounce of cascade in the keg. We'll see how it turns out...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Update: I threw in the the rind from 2 oranges and .75 oz of cluster and it is now very drinkable. The pewey taste comes off as the bitterness of an IPA and is tasty, well, to me it's tasty.

My family used to keep fresh water fish. When adding water we always filled a container and let it sit for a few days to allow the chlorine to evap. Is this the same thing?

I think chlorine and chloramines are 2 different beasts?

That's right, chlorine and chloramine are different beasts. Chlorine will evaporate off. Chloramine requires treatment with a Camden tablet or a charcoal filter.

Back