Cream Ale hop suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampska

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got the ingredients to do a Cream Ale for my next brew:

5# 2-Row
3# Vienna
2# Flaked Corn
1# Cara-Pils
1/4# Lactose

My question was for suggestions on which hops to use. My original inclination was:

1/2oz Northern Brewer - 60min
1/2oz Tettnang - 20min
1oz Cascade - 5min

I also 1oz Fuggles available without having to make a trip to the LHBS.

Any suggestions?

BassBurner said:
I got the ingredients to do a Cream Ale for my next brew:

5# 2-Row
3# Vienna
2# Flaked Corn
1# Cara-Pils
1/4# Lactose

My question was for suggestions on which hops to use. My original inclination was:

1/2oz Northern Brewer - 60min
1/2oz Tettnang - 20min
1oz Cascade - 5min

I also 1oz Fuggles available without having to make a trip to the LHBS.

Any suggestions?
Amarillo! Tastes GREAT in my cream ale.

Hate to nit-pick, but you're not making a cream ale. Back WAY off on the vienna and lose the lactose and you're getting there. Cream ale is an ale version of light american lagers, nothing but 2-row and corn. I'd go with Mt. Hood or Halerauer. Hope it doesn't sound too EAC, there. Sounds like a damn tasty brew, just not a cream ale as per the guidelines.

I'm not overly concerned with the style guidelines. I just use them as a starter. The batch I just cracked open a bottle from for the first time last night was originally supposed to be a brown ale but after tasting, I realized it's much more of a brown porter. Any ideas what style this sounds like it might be?

Swapping the cascade with the fuggles does sound like a good idea. I'll have to stew that over.

Mine used, two-rwo, vienna, flaked maize, and a little corn sugar.

The Liberty hopping (1oz bittering, 1/2oz aroma) worked very well!.

Back